Great new tool!

It's a 'klanger'.

Reply to
Hoyt McKagen
Loading thread data ...

I have had this 3" dia x 2" long AL round by the mill for years for tapping pieces in the vise to make sure they were seated. It was some alloy that cuts terribly stringy and gummy but had a 3/4" hole in the center. So I had this 3/4" wood dowel on the bench and inserted it into the hole after slitting it on the band saw. I then forced a wood wedge into the slit thus jamming the AL round onto the dowel.

OK, OK,'s a hammer, but is there a name for this shape of hammer? I find it very useful and like the shape of the striking surface.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

sort of like a mallet used by wood carvers 'cept it's not wood - you're not carving -minor details I'd say

Reply to

That would be, IIRC, a "glut", a round headed one piece wooden hammer. Used for carving, and also:

Used to strike the "froe", when "riving" "shakes" from a "bolt" of wood.

Gotta be some metalworking content in there SOMEWHERE!


Reply to
Bill Marrs

yes, its called a homemade hammer or striker..... best tools you can have are the ones you made yourself and do what you want them to do....

Reply to

transversely mounted hammer

Reply to
Doug Arthurs

It's referred to by some woodworking catalogs as a maul or club maul, others call it a mallet or club mallet. Most are either wood or plastic.


Reply to
Bob Robinson

Even though it probably has a name, I think "thingamajig" or "doohicky" sounds better. Better yet, give it a technical sounding name like (working on someone elses idea) "transverse inertial transfer device" and really feel cool while using it :)


Tom Gardner wrote:

Reply to

This type of hammer is common in woodworking, for example to tap a chisel. The advantage is you don't have to line up the head before hitting. I've seen the hitting surface made out of wood, plastic, brass and leather.

Reply to

Sounds like an axe I once had..

Reply to
Doug Smith

"Bill Marrs"

wood have to be in the froe back to earlier technology. FM

Reply to

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.