Micro lathe

We are a group of mechanical and electrician engineering students & are working in a project to design a CNC micro lathe, as small as we could do it. The first step is to define a growing market to sell micro machines. Any clue to start the project??

Reply to
Jaime

Don't re-invent the wheel. Do what industry does. Analyze the competition.

Reply to
tomcas

Troll?????

If you do not know where to start, I would suggest staying in school.

Reply to
Chris

If you're going to build a lathe, build a lathe.

Let the business admin lackies define the market. Now if you meant *identify* a market, well, that's another thing.

Any clue to start the project??

Well, I think you're in over your head. Think about why you'd want to build a micro lathe... More precision than existing big lathes? Sorry, pick another door. To have precision, you need rigidity and to have rigidity (assuming you're looking at building a traditional lathe) you need mass and lots of it.

There's lots of guys here that could help if they thought they weren't doing your homework, so think about these questions and get back to us:

  1. What kind of material do you want to turn?
  2. What's the swing?
  3. What's the distance between centers?
  4. What's the max and min spindle rpm?
Reply to
Jim Stewart

The jewelry industry. We make small stuff.

Although you are already rather late with this. A colleague of mine has a 4 axis milling machine, the motor of which is built in a housing the size of a Foredom hand piece.

Abrasha

Abrasha

Utter nonsense, you don't know what you are talking about! Have you ever heard of watchmakers lathes? Yes the ones to make watch parts. There is practically nothing that is machined anywhere with greater precision.

Ever heard of Levin lathes? The most precise micro lathes in the world. They only weigh a few pounds. They cost a fortune.

Abrasha

Abrasha

"Electrician engineering"?

Reply to
Don Foreman

Taig Micro Lathe

Sherline lathe
Markets: Watchmakers, modelmakers (model engineers), and hobbyist.

For cnc conversions, you might search for hobbycnc, cnc conversion, and cnc kits.

Taunt

What school?

Reply to
Taunt

nano-machining would be cool - I've seen articulated devices that move in 2-D with ranges of a few micrometers - if you could build a monolithic lathe that would operate on submicron features, I think you'd have something

Reply to
bill

Dont forget

Gunner, OmniTurn authorized field service tech "Pax Americana is a philosophy. Hardly an empire. Making sure other people play nice and dont kill each other (and us) off in job lots is hardly empire building, particularly when you give them self determination under "play nice" rules.

Gunner Asch

Can you make the lathe small enough to swallow?

I want to turn my stomach.

Reply to
ff

Perhaps. But the "electrician" makes me suspect that this is a front for some Chinese company that wants to do some market research on the cheap. Look for a "Taig-Hung-Lo" "micro lathe" in your future.

Boris

Reply to
Boris Beizer

Reply to
Mike Young

I was impressed, both by their nice products, and by their early presence on the Internet. At the bottom of their home page is the copyright notice: "© Louis Levin & Son, Inc., 1917 - 2005 ." I wonder if they still have a copy of their 1917 web page. I bet there are no color pictures, though.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Run an AdAware scan

and see what it finds. They have a free version.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I copied the links after going to them first and I got no spyware loaded on my machine.

Reply to
Taunt

Get rid of MS Internet Explorer, and you won't have to worry about spyware, malware, browser hijacks, etc.

If you don't want to drop IE, at least get Ad-Aware and Spybot, Search & Destroy.

Abrasha

Abrasha

Thanks for the thought; I know you mean well. The simple truth is, anti-virus and anti-this'n'dat caused me more problems and grief than any other computing mishap, including viruses and ad-ware, in more than 10 years of cruising the web. Take a cruise over to

and build a real toolkit. I know it's not for everyone, but there are other ways. Autoruns.exe and procexp.exe identified the culprits in two minutes. Excising them, alas, still required booting in safe-mode. Spyware stuff can't do much better.

I recently tried Firefox/Mozilla. It's probably safe from the current strains of infection, but it's also quite immune to useful, simple things like wmv. No thanks.

Reply to
Mike Young

Ad-Aware and Spybot are really good proggies, my girlfriend uses them on her machine. (She has Windows XP, I run Linux)

Interesting, I can view wmv files on my linux box and I use Firefox... so can my girl who runs firefox on her Windows machine.

Mike (OB r.c.m. content: Building a foundry at the moment for bronze work, scored two free bags of kast-o-lite 2600 from a local supplier because the use by date was past... what the hell? Why a use by date on refractory? I'm not complaining but...)

Reply to
Mike Martin