New source for discounted steel

I needed a small piece of 4"x4" square tube for a tractor attachment, stopped in a local steel building erector. They had a full roll off full of cut offs. They said anything under 8 feet they dump. $20 per grab, she said if I come after they close its free????. I didn't want to explain this to the local police so I paid $20.00 for a 8 foot section of 4 x 4 1/4 wall stock. All new with no rust, the problem is now I have all these new projects floating in ny head.

Reply to
Waynemak

Surprised they don't put them on ebay.

This is a very good idea, tho, cuz steel warehouses themselves pretty much hoard everything.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

I gave it a few seconds of thought, but shipping this stuff would become a real pain.

Reply to
Waynemak

Where'd you get the alum and tool steel from? Man, *I* gotta find guys like these!

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Reply to
Waynemak

Reply to
gyury

I go to a nationally franchised metal supplier called The metal supermarket

cut the steel to size, which is handy if everything is premeasured plus you pay for the cut size. They're a little pricey, but unless you know of a place that is willing to let there scraps go cheap, they may be your only alternative. I never pass up free stock (as long as i cam make room for it)I really have to think about a project based on the cost of the steel. good luck,

walt

Reply to
wallster