Re: New Walthers heavyweights

The C&NW 4 car set arrived at my LHS last week - very nice. I was at the Madison Train Show last Saturday, and saw one dealer had CB&Q sets as well....

Jim Bernier

Peter K> I don't think I've seen anything posted about this yet. I got a flyer

Reply to
Jim Bernier

Several years ago, Walthers came out with the Piker and Oscar in plastic.

> For those not familiar with these cars, they were short "Pullman" type cars > just long enough to fit on a single standard Pullman type six wheel truck. > At that time, the word we received was that they were the first step in > developing a line of Heavyweight scale length Pullman models in plastic. > > Looks like they have taken the second step. > > Dennis > snipped-for-privacy@onerrave.com > > > > > > I don't think I've seen anything posted about this yet. I got a flyer > > from Walthers yesterday, announcing a new line of RTR heavyweight > > passenger cars in HO scale. No real details yet, other than that they > > will be similar in nature to their streamlined cars. > > > > Peter King in NY > > > > x-- 100 Proof News -
x-- 3,500+ Binary NewsGroups, and over 90,000 other groups > x-- Access to over 1 Terabyte per Day - $8.95/Month > x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD >
Reply to
Jim Hollis

Not really,

The old Penn-Line/Life-Like cars have different windows and the baggage door on the combine is further forward. A small window is also directly behind the baggage door. The new Walthers cars appear to be based on the original Walthers C&NW 'Utility' coaches(introduced about 1959, IIRC). Walthers also had a line of 60' shorty 'pug' cars, but they are not the same was these new offerings. I have a set ordered from my LHS - need something to pull with my P2K 'zebra srtipes' GP in C&NW. I see the 'lighting' kits are not available yet. I hope they do not run 'hot' on the higher DCC voltage and burn out or even worse melt the roofs like some of the Kato lighting kits have done.

Jim Bernier

Jim Hollis wrote:

Reply to
Jim Bernier

Yes. These will be all new cars, and probably not produced by Rivarossi. I suspect they will be produced by whoever is doing the Walthers streamlined cars.

Peter King in NY

Reply to
Peter King

Yes, but these are Rivarossi cars. New ones, bit still Rivarossi. And these are not 'news', they've been rumored and even advertised for some months now.

The implication of this thread seems to be that Walthers' themselves are coming out with new heavyweight cars. Of course these will be imports too, but probably from China.

Or, are the 60' Rivarossi cars the 'new' Walthers' cars? It's well known the Walthers' seems somehow to be bankrolling what's left of Rivarossi, at least as far as these 60' cars is concerned. They are apparently reincarnations of some of Walthers' old wood and metal C&NW kits, now done in plastic.

Dan Mitchell ==========

Jim Bernier wrote:

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

It was my understanding that the last of Rivarossi has been run. Something to do with Italy, banking rules/law, and etc. The advertised are new cars, probably at least 6 months to a year away. Until we seem pictures (either test shots or prototype) we have no idea what they will be!

Reply to
Jon Miller

Might be interesting to look at the Walthers flyer and see if they used IHC cars as stand-ins like they used a Con-Cor dome lettered "California Zephyr" on their Super Chief announcement. (VBG)

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

cars as stand-ins< Would probably kill sales, but they might use Branchline cars as standins.

Reply to
Jon Miller

Our Walthers rep told me today that the sales people know nothing about the new heavyweight cars. He had not even seen the flyer until someone faxed him a copy. His boss did not know anything about them either. The flyer is NOT illustrated and does NOT specify any car types or any road names. It indicates that the cars are coming in 2004/2005 which would probably mean next winter. Walthers did send out a marketing survey on heavyweights several months ago which we returned with our suggestions. My guess is that they will reproduce the most popular cars from their old metal-sided kits with state-of-the-art detailing. The flyer did say the new cars will be R-T-R.

Reply to
MGuill1224

The four car set lettered for the Southern Railway is sitting on the shelf at my local hobby shop right this very moment.

RWBooneSR

Reply to
RWBoone

Those streamlined cars are nice. I would like to have a greater variety of the smoothside cars. My prototype railroad had few Pullman-built cars, no Budd cars at all, nor any fluted cars of any kind, but ran mostly ACF cars. ACF was in St Louis and St Louis was the center of the world for the GM&O. To all but the most knowledgeable of passenger car lovers it is practically impossible to tell a Pullman from an ACF in most cases. Dome cars are a notable exception, but I don't need any smoothside, Budd-looking domes like the ones ACF built. Besides that, I think the Rrivarossi streamlined dome is very much like the ACF one anyway.

Reply to
Froggy

The recently released 60' cars are not what's being discussed. Walthers has just this week announced new heavyweights to be released in the 2004/2005 timeframe.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

Negative! Those are not being talked about. Confusiion reigns again . The four packs in shops are the new Rivarossi 60 foot cars. The ones due the end of the year will be Walthers full length cars.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Henk

That might be the new Rivarossi 60' set of a coach, combine, baggage, and RPO. If I've followed this discussion correctly these are two different things.

Reply to
SleuthRaptorman

Negative! Those are not being talked about. Confusiion reigns again . The four packs in shops are the new Rivarossi 60 foot cars. The ones due the end of the year will be Walthers full length cars.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Henk

The Flyer (unless some stores got something different) was a text only teaser. Basically zero information other thean "we're doing heavyweights to be out later this year.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Henk

I believe you are mistaking the new Rivarossi 60' cars just released after as you said being advertised for months. The new cars are going to be Walthers. Two years ago in a conversation with them at the International Hobby Show they said they would likely come out with heavyweights. These are coming due to the success with the Budd cars.

The flyer that arrived this week in my shop said Walthers cars there was no mention of Rivarossi as when they sent out the info on the 60' cars. Therefore the implication is clear that these will be Walthers product and apt to be from China.

The cars are completely new and have the smoothest rolling trucks I've ever seem.

Dave Jacksonville, FL

Reply to
Dave Henk