Inlet Valve

Can anyone help me locate an Inlet Valve for thr restoration of a engine. Dimensions are 185 /190mm long, 12mm stem, 58/60mm diameter. Help with this one would be appricated.

Reply to
Bob

Engine make and type would be useful.

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Prepair Ltd

Your location would be helpful.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Early 1900 9hp Hornsby inlet valve, Thanks for your interest Bob

Reply to
Bob

Tom I'm in the Midlands and prepared to travel. Thanks for your interest

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Something along the lines of a big Blackstone diesel valve would be a good start, or have a wander round the junk stalls at Beaulieu when the auto-jumble is on, it's amazing what comes along.

Short-term, there's not a lot you can do, but there is a company in Chesterfield that does spares for big marine engines, people have had variable responses from them, but they might be worth a try.

I'll see what information I have on them.

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Prepair Ltd

To NZ? :-)

Just been out in the shed to check my first automotive momento. Valve out of a 1914 Packard engine that ended its life in a log hauler. Apart from the stem being 1/2". necessitating the guide being reamed, it would cut down to suit the Hornsby. However, since I've had it from when I was a kid, sentimentality lays greater claim. :-)

On the otherhand I don't see any difficulty in procuring a suitable donor, marine engine workshops are most probably the best source if you can't locate a supplier of blanks.

Out of idle curiosity I'll check out things locally, because ya never ya luck when ya least expect the most. :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom

B> On 11 Dec, 13:46, Prepair Ltd wrote: >> On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 05:39:30 - >> 0800 (PST), Bob > @hotmail.com> wrote: >>> Can anyone help me locate an Inlet Valve for thr restoration of a >>> engine. >>> Dimensions are 185 /190mm long, 12mm stem, 58/60mm diameter. Help with >>> this one would be appricated.

B> Early 1900 9hp Hornsby inlet valve, Thanks for your interest Bob

A large (8 Mule Team) Amanco I worked on had fabricated valves consisting of what appeared to be mild steel stems screwed into cast iron heads and peened over for security. Don't know if they were original but they had clearly seen some service and after a grind, looked fit for plenty more. Certainly something I'd consider if stuck for a valve in lightly stressed application.

nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Reply to
nickh

Could you fabricate one from stainless. Turn the head and stem and conically weld them together, then true it up with a valve seat grinder?

Julian.

Reply to
Julian