Lighting for workshop

I want to get some lights rigged up over my lathe in the workshop.

have a big fluorescent light fitting that I'd like to use. I've rea that "strobing" could be a problem, but has anybody ever actually had problem? Is it that dangerous?

Brenda

-- anotheri

----------------------------------------------------------------------- anotherid's Profile:

this thread:

anotherid

I only have flourescent light in my shop and ever saw a strobing effect. They say that it might happen that the lathe _looks_ like standing still. But I can definetly hear when my tools are running.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Technically in theory it's possible, in practice it's damn near impossible. I have a proper strobe light setup that I bought just to stop the work whilst working inside skeletal bores doing fine work.

It works OK if you can get it close to the job, anymore than about a foot away and it just flashes but doesn't stop the work.

Unless you are thinking about mounting the florry essence about 6" above the chuck then don't worry.

You still really need a work light as well, even in a well lit shop because of shadows, deep bores etc.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Exactly. Every workshop I have ever worked in or been in has been lit with strip lighting. Never seen it, Urban myth if you ask me! The only thing I've seen that was sensitive to it were model aero engine elctronic tacho's. Always read 3000rpm in the workshop.

Even My hardinge CNC was built with two tubes in a persex tube, and these are no more than 18" above the spindle centre.

Wayne...

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

Absolutely dead right John. I have also used strobe lights many years ago and it was a bugger to get a really frozen image with the proper equipment! I have three machines fitted with infinitely variable drives: my Myford with a Newton-Tesla and Sherline lathe and mill and with all the non-fluorescents turned off have been completely failed to get any strobe effect however hard I try.

Regards Brian

Reply to
brian

I like the little halogen spotlights that places like ikea sell as desk lamps -nice and cheap as well.

Regards Kevin

PS if using these be aware that the telescopic legs the light is on carry the power to the bulb -have to watch the swarf doesn't short it out.

Reply to
Kevin Steele

I'm thinking about one of the low-volatge lights Warco/Chronos sell fo

close-in lighting. The (Warco) one with the magnetic base seems like i would be handy but it's not waterproof, whereas the other (without magnetic base) is.

Brenda

-- anotheri

this thread:

anotherid