variable power for table top cooker?

I have a cheap, nasty single ring boiler, similar to this one:

I have a 4 ring gas hob; my desire is for a super low simmer that is supposedly possible with 'leccy.

Mine is a 1Kw ring, controlled by a so-called-thermostat, that doesn't work very well at all - I had the back off, and the wiring is all very simple and easy to get at.

So - if I want to run my hob at low power should I just put a simmerstat in an outboard box, or some more sophisticated thing?

Since I only want the hob at 50-150 watts could I use a (boxed up) lighting dimmer ?

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

You can't use a dimmer. The ring is rated at 1500 watts and the power controller needs to be rated at this or higher even though you want it to only run at low output.

A simmer stat that is designed to work at 1500w in a box should work. Earth the box and make sure the wiring is safe!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin