Water Boiler - yes it is relevant !

An interesting problem. Related to engineering through the amount of tea that we drink?

As you may or may not know, with a friend I own and operate a commercial miniature railway near Chippenham in Wiltshire (The Lackham Museum and Woodland Railway - "The Pheasant Line"). I also like collecting railway memorabilia and display it (and where possible) put it to use on the railway.

One recent asset I have acquired is a water boiler, reputed to have been last used at Market Rasen buffet. I would like to bring the unit back into operation again, but I have hit a few snags. (Pictures of the boiler can be seen at

The water boiler was made by Maxol of Manchester (a company owned by a Mr B Lowmax). A search on the internet led me to the modern "Burco" boilers as the current owners (who themselves are part of Murphy-Richards!) I e-mailed their National Accounts Manager (Christopher Oakley) who very kindly carried out some research on my behalf. It would appear that it was probably manufactured in the late

1950's and was originally designed for Town Gas. (Whether it was ever converted to Natural Gas is unknown). Regardless of that, the burner (a separate part) does not meet current safety regulations (e.g. there is no flame failure device), so even if I converted it to Propane, I couldn't use it in a public area anyway.

So, I need to design and build a new burner. As this is gas and I am very nervous of this area, I actually need someone else to design and build a new burner! I have spoken to Burco and they cannot help, it would appear that they are a manufacturing plant only (no design facility - for this sort of work anyway!)

As this is a piece of original, untouched "memorabilia" I would prefer not to butcher the original burner, but to design a new burner with the same "form, fit and function". (However, if minor mods could be made to the original without destroying the design I would be interested, e.g. converted to Propane and a flame failure device fitted)

In an ideal world I would like to buy one "off the shelf", however I don't know where to start looking.

Therefore, can anybody suggest a company that makes or modifies these sort of burners and who may be able to help me?

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Sheppard

The facts that the burners appear to have a number of very small outlets rather than one larger one (more detail would be useful) _and_ the that the rating plate says 'N' for the type of gas tends to indicate that the burner has already been changed for natural gas. An easy test is to try it. if the flame lifts off the burners and goes out then you're out of luck and will need to change both the jets and the burners.

It should be possible to use a thermocouple supplied cutoff solenoid as used in Baxi Bermuda and similar gas boilers to provide your flame failure device in conjunction with the existing pilot burner. Whether it's simpler to get the bits as new spares or secondhand canibalization I don't know.

HTH Mark Rand (an electrical engineer :-( RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Find a commercial gas fitter (corgi of course) and get them to look it over, a modern ionisation detection controller might suit (we use them in chemical vapour burn-off boxes) as it can control the gas in, light the gas and shut it off if it fails.

Ask around the enthusiasts, quite a few useful tradesmen out there!!

Reply to
njf>badge

Reply to
njf>badge

Just an observation: The spec plate seems to be of a later date and perhaps from when it was modified for natural gas. The "N", when indicated for type of gas, could actually stand for natural gas?

Tom

Reply to
Tom