dissolving polystyrene and NOT other polymer: finding the right solvent

Hi,

Does anyone know of a solvent that will dissolve polystyrene while leaving any of these other three polymers alone: PMMA(polymethylmethacrylate) or PVK/PVCz( polyvinylcarbazole) or PPHenaz(polyphenazasiline)? Or even where one might find a table of common polymers and what they dissolve in? I know polystyrene dissolves in pretty much anything, but hopefully someone knows if one of the others is more hardy, such that I may remove the polystyrene coat with out removing the other polymer.

Thanks!

Reply to
wavefront

Toluene or heptane will dissolve the PS and leave the PMMA alone.

The Polymer Handbook has a wonderful table of polymers and their solvents. The book costs >$300 so you either need to be rich, have access to a technical library at a local university, or know an engineer whose employer has purchased it.

John

Reply to
john.spevacek

Toluene will dissolve PMMA, slowly. We actually use toluene to make a solution of PMMA for spin-coating. However, it does take some time to complete dissolve it. We are using 15K Mw. PMMA. Maybe higher Mw PMMA such as 950K has better resistance to toluene.

Reply to
Monzonite