Help needed

Anybody here an expert on thermal polymerization of styrene? Or unsaturated polyesters?

I'm looking for the upper temperature limit for prevention of thermal polymerization (uncatalyzed - no cobalt present). I've seen papers quoting it at 200 F, but I'd like to hear from someone with actual industrial experience.

Reply to
A Espinoza

Expert: no.

In our lab we had a styrene bottle which had polymerised in the fridge. So, I would conclude the upper limit lies below 4 °C.

Regards, Oliver

Reply to
Oliver 'Ojo' Bedford

This does not sound like thermal polymerization to me, but rather like radical formation by cosmic rays, light, oxygen or the like. But I am no expert either.

Oliver 'Ojo' Bedford schrieb in im Newsbeitrag: dqb5v7$so5$ snipped-for-privacy@lnx107.hrz.tu-darmstadt.de...

Reply to
hoe

No but I play one on TV! ;)

This would depend on time as well as temperature. Stabilizers and stabilizer levels would overrule all else. Are you sure that there is not stabilizer present? How do you know?

John Aspen Research -

"Turning Questions into Answers"

john.spevacek

There is stabilizer present - 12.5 ppm t-butyl catechol (originally in the styrene) and 100 ppm hydroquinone (that I put in).

Reply to
A Espinoza