How is MMA produced?

Can anyone supply a link or some information on what chemicals and process employed to produce MMA? I can find loads on how acrylic sheets are made, but not how MMA is produced. MMA prices keep rising and it is blamed on MMA shortage and demand. If prices get to high, it would seem PMMA products would be less desirable. I understand there will be another price increase (sheet suppliers) in March and that may be it for awhile. I don't know what all the cost increases over the last year were, but this year will be around 15% after the March increase. Total must be around 50%

Thanks, John

Reply to
JohnR66

The Univ. of Mississippi's Macrogalleria on polymers is a great source for all things polymner. This is the page discussing PMMA or MMA there:

Joseki

MMA mostly made via acetone cyanohydrin (from acetone and HCN)

increase generally tied to cost of petroleum starting materials. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

This might be a little more helpful than the link supplied by another poster. It does discuss the synthesis route, and has some supply and demand data but only upto 2003. If this is an ongoing concern, there are a number of trade journals (available only be subscription) that routinely follow the chemical industry including pricing trends, production shortfalls and overcapacities, etc. Since the chemical industry is based on a few key feedstocks being used to produce the wide diversity of chemicals, it really can seem like the tail is wagging the dog.

John

Reply to
john.spevacek

Thanks for the great links! John