PMMA recycling - Recovered MMA's distillation

We are a group of Chemical Engineering undergraduate students, at Instituto Superior Tcnico, in Universidade Tcnica de Lisboa, in
Portugal, and we are doing our Final Project under the theme: Recycling poly(methyl methacrylate) (PMMA) that concerns the recovery of methyl methacrylate (MMA) and also the continuous manufacture of acrylic casting sheets. The process that we are studying suggests the distillation of the recovered liquid with the composition that follows:
     BP (C)    Mass flow (kg/hr)    Mole flow (kg/hr) Methanol     64.7     0.100     0.003 Methyl propionate 71.8     0.996     0.011 Methyl acrylate     80     0.299     0.003 Methyl isobutyrate 92.6     1.996     0.019 Water     100     8.095     0.449 MMA     101     965.245     9.641 Butyl acrylate     148     4.599     0.036
We hope to achieve a liquid with 99.9% (mol) purity of MMA and a water content of 500 ppm. The problems are: - Formation of azeotropes between MMA/Water and MMA/Methanol; - The reduced difference of water and MMA boiling points.
We tried to simulate the distillation column on ASPEN, but without success. If some one knows the type of column and distillation that should be used and how to simulate it in ASPEN we would be very appreciated and we guarantee that the research is for academic purpose.
Looks like you are cracking an MMA copolymer with some acrylates. Pure homopolymer should give purer MMA and less water and methanol biproduct. On the other hand, what you are doing is closer to real commercial PMMA's as most are copolymers. Frank
replying to Frank Logullo, Flemming Bonde wrote: Hi Frank i am a danish recycler, who is thinking about recycling pmma scrap. if you can help giving me hints as to where to find relevant information on the subject, i would be very grateful!
replying to Frank Logullo, Flemming Bonde wrote: Hi Frank i am a danish recycler, who is thinking about recycling pmma scrap. if you can help giving me hints as to where to find relevant information on the subject, i would be very grateful!
replying to Filipa, Flemming Bonde wrote: Hi Filipa i am a plastic recycler in Denmark who is considering to start up recycling of PMMA scrap. can you refer to some litterature on the subject.? especially interesting it would be if there are descriptions of the whole proces from scrap to purified MMA!