PMMA/Ti

Hello,

Iam having tuff time depositing Titanium on PMMA, using E-beam evaporation. Ti layer is not smooth, its pretty rough and non-uniform. Please suggest me on how to get a smooth Ti Layer on PMMA.

Thanks in advance, Sandy

Reply to
sandy

If the PMMA has been developed, it will exhibit some roughness which will transfer to the Ti. You can also make sure that the vacuum is pure enough not to include impurities. Also Ti has grain size which may not be ignored in a polycrystalline film. A faster growth rate also helps.

Regards,

Fred

Reply to
flipsu5

Dear Mr.Fred,

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. My rate of deposition is around

1amongstrong/sec. It takes around 30 min to deposit 40nm of Ti. I shall try what you said and get back to you.

Thanks, Sandy

Reply to
sandy

Dear Mr.Fred,

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. My rate of deposition is around

1amongstrong/sec. It takes around 30 min to deposit 40nm of Ti. I shall try what you said and get back to you.

Thanks, Sandy

Reply to
sandy

Dear Mr.Fred,

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. My rate of deposition is around

1amongstrong/sec. It takes around 30 min to deposit 40nm of Ti. I shall try what you said and get back to you.

Thanks, Sandy

Reply to
sandy

I don't know if you solved this already, but just in case: PMMA has a low glass transition temperature, about 105 C. It starts to outgas seriously well below that--70C or even lower. Taking the PMMA over its Tg will cause the surface of the metal to craze--in an SEM it looks like pack ice after a storm, sheets sticking up in the air and so on. Taking it to the point where it outgasses will cause spitting and craters in the surface, as the gas blows holes in the metal film to escape.

I eventually had to use a cooled chuck to get round this problem with PMMA and nickel.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs