New Product Development: Drilling thin laminate question

Hello everyone,
I am currently working an developing a new house hold product. The product is in Patent Pending status.
I am interested in locating a manufacturer (preferably close to Atlanta) that has the capability to drill a field of holes in a very thin laminate described below: Simply stated, the laminate is "plastic coated aluminum foil".
Top Layer: Plastic: 0.85 - 2 mil thickness. I have built prototypes using both 0.85 and 2 mil plastic. The source of the 0.85 mil plastic is the standard "generic" garbage bag - just to give you an idea of the type of plastic I'm using.
Center Layer: 0.93 mil +/- 10%. This is standard heavy duty aluminum foil.
Bottom Layer: Same as Top Layer.
In the perfect world, the laminate would be available in roll format. Perhaps there is a machine that would pull the laminate from the roll while drilling.
Alternatively, the laminate could be cut down into individual sheets that could be fed to a machine that would drill each sheet ... or several sheets could be stacked on top of each other and drilled through - it all depends on the drilling machine.
The perfect width of the laminate is 17 inches. The field of holes is at least 10 1/2 inches wide, which could run the entire length of the laminate. The field of holes is centered, so there is approximately 3 1/4 inches of undrilled laminate on each side.
The diameter of each hole is 1/8 inch. The spacing between holes in approximately 1/2 inch.
Any thoughts, advice, etc. is sincerely appreciated. I will also be happy to answer questions that would not require a non-disclosure agreement.
Thanks in advance! --Ed
| Hello everyone, | | I am currently working an developing a new house hold product. The | product is in Patent Pending status. | | I am interested in locating a manufacturer (preferably close to | Atlanta) that has the capability to drill a field of holes in a very | thin laminate described below: Simply stated, the laminate is "plastic | coated aluminum foil". | | Top Layer: Plastic: 0.85 - 2 mil thickness. I have built prototypes | using both 0.85 and 2 mil plastic. The source of the 0.85 mil plastic | is the standard "generic" garbage bag - just to give you an idea | of the type of plastic I'm using. | | Center Layer: 0.93 mil +/- 10%. This is standard heavy duty aluminum | foil. | | Bottom Layer: Same as Top Layer. | | In the perfect world, the laminate would be available in roll format. | Perhaps there is a machine that would pull the laminate from the roll | while drilling. | | Alternatively, the laminate could be cut down into individual sheets | that could be fed to a machine that would drill each sheet ... or | several sheets could be stacked on top of each other and drilled | through - it all depends on the drilling machine. | | The perfect width of the laminate is 17 inches. The field of holes is | at least 10 1/2 inches wide, which could run the entire length of the | laminate. The field of holes is centered, so there is approximately 3 | 1/4 inches of undrilled laminate on each side. | | The diameter of each hole is 1/8 inch. The spacing between holes in | approximately 1/2 inch. | | Any thoughts, advice, etc. is sincerely appreciated. I will also be | happy to answer questions that would not require a non-disclosure | agreement. | | Thanks in advance!
Seems like you need a hole puncher, not an actual drilling. Hole punchers can make cleaner holes in thin materials like such drills can get pretty messy on such thin material.
I am sorry to say, I do not know companies that offer such a service. It seems it may be up to you. :(
Thanks for the thought on hole punchers. I agree that drilling is not as clean, and even at slow RPM (about 5000) I still see (although very infrequently) some evidence of melting. Should have seen the first prototype get destroyed when drilling at 30000 RPM - LOL! I also attribute the destruction to using an inferior adhesive, but I learned from that one.
--Ed

Hmmm...looks like you disclosed the idea. Anyway - there's a high volume method - feed through a roll with dies and a roll with punches in register to pop all the holes at once, or as a slow speed prototype use a row of dies, with a row of punches - perforate and step on.
Brian Whatcott Altus OK
This method sounds very interesting - greatly appreciated. --Ed

Any Printed Circuit Board shop can do that kind of work
--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur
Blarg wrote:

<snip>
Ed, There are a lot of companies that specialize in custom perforating metals and plastics. A few examples are:
http://www.schneidermarquard.com / http://www.hkperf.com / http://www.mckey.com/docs/products/perfstock.htm http://www.clarkperf.com /
There may be a company in the Atlanta area that can produce your prototype. Go to http://www.thomasnet.com/ and search under "Plastics: Perforated" or "Metals: Perforated".
You might also get lucky and find a company that already has a suitable perforated plastic/metal laminate in stock!
Good Luck
To reply, my name is Paul D Oosterhout and I work for SAIC [use lower case characters]
Thanks Paul --Ed