Acrylic (PMMA) and UV radiation

I understand that PMMA is resistant to the effects of ultraviolet radiation. Is a UV inhibitor added or is it a natural effect of the material? If there is an inhibitor, I assume it is not added so that PMMA sheets can pass UV, such as in the case of when it is used in tanning beds.

What other additives (if any) are added to standard MMA used for cell casting? Thanks

Reply to
SimonLW

PMMA is not resistant to UV radiation- it is just transparent in the mid-UV range. You can easily cause chain scission in PMMA by exposing it to deep UV ~ 200 nm UV light. Most acrylics are sensitive only to deep-UV and are transparent in mid-UV (300-450 nm?).

Vijay

Sim> I understand that PMMA is resistant to the effects of ultraviolet radiation.

Reply to
Vijay

I know that standard acrylic sheet is blocking nearly all UV at 350nm and shorter wavelength. Some grades are designed to block UV below 400nm (commonly used in the picture framing market to help to reduce fading of the subject). Then there is the acrylic that passes UV down to 3??nm for tanning bed covers. I'm just trying to understand what is done to the material (what additives) to make it handle the UV differently. Thanks

Reply to
SimonLW