what is the most important in polymer physics?

I want to know what are the challenge fields for polymer physics? Thanks in advance!

Reply to
zzumst

Here' s a quick Christmas wish list. Not complete, or necessarily even wonderfully profound, but it's something.

1) 100% orientation of polyethylene (not 99.9% or 99.99% or... but 100%). No defects except for the endgroups. In other words, I want a skyhook.

2) A "simple" constituitive equation that works in both shear and extension. Or maybe Doi and Edwards can finally figure out where that missing .4 is hiding.

3) Silicone polymers for under $2/lb. After all, it is the most common element in the earth's crust. Is it right that it costs so much more than carbon compounds that are exceedingly rare in the earth's curst?

John Aspen Research -

"Turning Questions into Answers"

john.spevacek

Would this work with normal PE or do you need UHMWPE?

Regards, Oliver

Reply to
Oliver 'Ojo' Bedford

The UHMWPE would have fewer endgroups, so it would be preferred.

The theoretical strength of perfectly oriented -CH2- groups is very high and with a very high modulus. Gel spinning has been a fine start

- SPECTRA fibers are stronger than steel on a weight basis - but there still is a way to go.