What polymer class would give light on red-orange when burnt?

What polymer class of compounds would give light on the red-orange spectrum when burnt? Would it yield a lot of sound from burning? How long woud it burn, particularly if it contains embedded a lot of water molecules? What matters most is that it yield light on the ORANGE-red spectrum.

Danilo J Bonsignore

Reply to
Fabrizio J Bonsignore

The hypothesis: there were several levels of light and several levels of noise while evolving Humans. Most exciting period would give maximum emotional replies to light and sound in Humans. This can of course be well measured, where emotional reply means state of excitement. When things were most hectic, we evolve more and survival advantages were most sensitive. If course this linke to the development of fire technology and the kind of plant/animal life at the moment. Note that Human ears, ceteris paribus, would also react to noise levels in morphology; had noise levels been lower, we would have evolved pointy ears as elves (hi Star Trek!), had they been louder, we would have evolved less notorious ear pavillions (ceteris paribus evolution in water bodies, were sound levels are subdued by default). Similar argument for color quantization and other eye characteristics regarding average light frequencies, ceteris paribus, so red is quite linked to yellow and orange since it would be important, selectively speaking, to have an emotional response to different light states of the habitat, where maximum response would be associated to FIRE when fleeing would be most useful. Statistically this morphological characteristics may give a good index to proportional presence of compounds/molecules in average ecosystems at the time.

Danilo J Bonsignore

Reply to
Fabrizio J Bonsignore

Q: What's orange and sounds like a parrot?

pete

Stewart

On 06/03/2011 11:50, Fabrizio J Bonsignore wrote: > Statistically this morphological

So you're suggesting that the way the human ear is today depended on the noise fire made say 100,000 years ago?... and that can somehow be used to work out what was burning way back then?

I thats a bit of a stretch.

Reply to
CWatters

That's an old joke, but it can't be more than about 350 years old, because carrots weren't orange until then.

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

A fascinating topic. Thank you.

pete

Being Reality it ambiguates per force, but it depends whether we assume equilibrium or adjustment toward equilibrium. Indeed, repitiles have no ears! Because there was too much noise or because there was almost no noise when they evolved? Fish also have no ears. So ears are not needed when there is no noise. This is not an oxymoron, it points to reptiles not having ears because sonorous stimulus were not big enough, but to develop a few holes rather than noise levels being so high that ear pavillions were unneeded. Primitive reptiles and dinosaurs s worlds were quieter than we think! ...

But yes, more or less. Discerning correctly between fire and the rush of leaves in the wind is a good survival advantage trait for tree/ woods dwellers. Deciding to flee when correct is better at the farthest distance, so pavillion ear bearers left more offspring than those without. Also deciding correctly the direction to flee (away from the fire) is also advantageous, and such directionality is achieved with ear pavillions! And ears where necessary because fire may conceal during daytime, be confused with glare and other reflections and smoke by itself gives no indication of where it comes from nor in what direction flee from it.

Incidentally, it also explains the elephants s ears! They need a bigger, more directionable pavillion to reach the same conclusions because they are heavier and bigger, so they do have to plan in advance longer to flee in the right direction and have enough time to evade obstructions on the way they cannot simply stomp on, or fire would reach them even if they detected it in **anthropoidal time**, in contrast to furry animals who can escape more linearly in any direction. In fact, the elephant ear did grow in size from the most primitive speciments to modern days... either because woods in fire became more common or because (animal population growth made) the world become more noisy, or both. Note that this also explains the difference in sizes between Asian and African elephants: one lives in damper jungles where fire would be extinguished quicker, the other lives in savannahs/woods were fire can extend longer... and that may be the reason why there are no elephants in America: wood fires were so common that no ear pavillion size gave them advantage enough to run in time...

Now, as for Human noses...

Danilo J Bonsignore

Reply to
Fabrizio J Bonsignore

The table is useful but needs much more and more specific information for my purpose.

Orange : polycarbonates and polysulfones. Blue : acetals, acrylics, acetate butyrate, propionate, nylon type

6, polyethylenes, polypropylenes.

So...! Polycarbonate seems quite weather weak, right? And transparent! What about a Paradise Lost world filled with polycarbonated plants and furry animals? Transparent is interesting! Need to burn to see it there, get cozy excitement from orange glowing polycarbonate now obstruction no more. Now more banana (apple) plant place instead of hard to see big hard thing there...

Danilo J Bonsignore

Reply to
Fabrizio J Bonsignore

Polycarbonate does seem to meet autotrophic constraints for plastic based organisms in antiquity! Too strong a biological materials would force heterotrophy, so to reach autotrophy and stabilize a biosphere a weaker, more reactive material would be in order... and polycarbonates do seem to meet all constraints. Harder polymer based beings gave way to **softer** polymer based beings easier to metabolize in chain foods. This would be in contrast to schist (calcium) metabolizing phila. Polymeric life would leave less traces than structural calcium life, particularly because they would burn easier. It should not be difficult to establish a model of oxygen liberation (free oxygen in atmosphere) based on polymeric life burning vs structural calcium life in a typical Reality race condition.

Those fairy tale worlds full of rainbows are a repeated construction because those were real and became encoded in our DNA while evolving current Humans. Transparent polycarbonate beings diffracting solar light to reach a compromise between spectrum and anthropoid size to recognize EM radiation spectra. We see the colors we see because those were available when we evolved and it was the relevant spectrum to discern! We show them in videogames because we (genetically) remember (or, our innermost DNA recesses interpreted through worldwide literature to yield long lost memories of the world as it was in fairy tales, videogames and science fiction).

Now, as for Human noses...

Danilo J Bonsignore

Reply to
Fabrizio J Bonsignore

So! Plymers composed of random sequences? That is tantamount to a genetic encoding of sorts! Polymers encoding sequences that decode into structural polymers; like DNA encoding proteins that compose beings, it is tantamount to polymers encoding-in polymers structures built of polymers nourishing on polymers + X.... that makes for a very autotrophic system! What form would RNA assume for such structures?

Though going back to protein made Human noses...

Danilo J Bonsignore

Reply to
Fabrizio J Bonsignore