Creating a spring with Wild Fire 2.0

Hi all,

I have to create a spring, 2 dead turns ( one on each side of the spring ), and 1.5 active turns. I don't care for the pitch, but I need to have 1.5 active turns. I have to respect three dimensions : total lenght ( 14mm ), external diameter ( 17.5mm ), and wire diameter ( 3mm ). How can I do ? Is it better to create it in one feature ( variable pitch ) or more ( one dead turn + 1.5 active turns + one dead turn = three features ) ?

Thanks in advance to all

Shultz

Reply to
Shultz

You need to create a helical sweep with variable pitch. When you sketch the trajectory (straight line 17.5/2 from axis by 14 long) add 2 intermediate points where the pitch changes (6mm from each end) using the sketcher point tool. When it asks for the start and end pitch enter the same values(3). When you are done with the definitions go back and define the pitch for the intermediate points. However, since the dead turns take up 12mm of the 14mm total length, you will not be able to get 1.5 active turns with any pitch greater than the minimum possible, which is wire dia 3.

-jk

Reply to
jk

Correcting my previous reply;

You need four intermediate points (for the transitions), not two. The middle

2 have the "active" pitch, the others have the "dead" pitch.

-jk

Reply to
jk

Hi, I think it is very difficult to create it in variable pitch. It is also difficult to do it using curve (2 projection). But u can get accurate shape using curves. It is also easy to modify if any changes. First u create 1.5 turn as one feature. Then create 2 projection curve on both sides and make a protrusion sweep.

Bye Prasath

Reply to
prasath

...ok, thanks both.