defrag

Is there a trick to defragging a hard drive that pro-e is installed on????

Reply to
Gilbert Pence

yeah. Install the files on an OS/2 box using HPFS386 and you'll never have to. Or use xfs. It's really really REALLY hard to believe that Microsoft is still using variations on FAT or that VMS leftover from the dark ages which was hellacious-prone to fragmentation thirty years ago.

Otherwise, backup first if you're concerned. Our files go onto an OS/2 server which doesn't suffer from those problems. There ARE cheaper better alternatives to Windows.

p.s. - I've been told that you can install Pro/E, then zip it up and later unzip that install elsewhere or back to the original box. Pro/e doesn't need all that registry crap. You might try that, just for fun.

Reply to
hamei

The trick, in my case (XP Prof), is having the patience to wait for the desultory, lacksadaisical degrag engine to complete its work. What makes you ask if there's a trick?

Reply to
David Janes

I have to defrag the NTFS partitions around here (5 boxes here, several others in other cities) at least once a month. I have *never* had to defragment an hpfs or xfs partition. What was that about "better" in "cheaper better faster" ? :-)

Reply to
hamei