Re: Plagarism - Sorted

Thanks for all the [prompt] responses

New tool on me - Info > Audit Trail clearly shows boths students IDs on one file and only one on the other - bang to rights.

Also, opening the files in notepad and looking at the Header info.

For info, this is part of a reasonable size submission from 2nd years, the zero mark I will give will mean they fail the module and they will have to face disciplinary action - so I needed to take it seriously.

Alright!! Plagiarism not plagarism - after 8 years teaching this lot CADCAM this is only the 2nd time I've had to use the word!

Cheers, Sean, D&T, Loughborough Uni

I have two students who are denying my accusation of plagarism. > > Whats the likelyhood of two people given the part to model would build a > model independently and produce a modeltree with this level of similarity? > > Attached image or here:
> Cheers, Sean > >
Reply to
seank

Also you could look at Info > Feature List on some of their parts. If they've copied a part the feature i.d.s will be the same, even if they've reorderd them or renamed them etc. The chances of feature i.d.s being the same are pretty slim I'd say.

I remember giving 3 students a 0 on a computer lab exercise because they copied the part. It wasn't a big project though.

Reply to
graminator

I remember giving 3 students a 0 on a computer lab exercise because they copied the part. It wasn't a big project though.

The "copied" issue is well established by the audit trail and the feature IDs. Time stamping could also be an aid. Someone completed a part and the other copied it. What's unclear is your network security. I've taken classes at schools and colleges where it was easily possible, given the appaling lack of security, for anyone to copy/steal anything on a network drive. So, unless it can be demonstrated that such copying is impossible, why implicate both students!?! I'm also assuming that the cheat went to the trouble to make his look like he'd done a lot of good work by renaming all the features the way they tell you to.

David Janes

Reply to
Janes