Batteries

My local hobby supplier told me that the new battery powered monster RC models are capable of speeds now achieved by the nitro models, and that battery life can extend to about two hours of play time, although not to top speeds. Can this be confirmed through your personal experience? And, do you know of any method for quick-recharging these batteries? Or do we have to wait the traditional four hours?

My team is about to buy one of these monsters and convert it into a robot plus RC control.

Wayne

Wayne Lundberg

Yes the electric rc dragsters are very fast, some of them will outrun most cars in the 0-60, but they are just that dragsters, bad things happen when you take a motor thats used to 7.2 volts and you give it

  1. Most electric r/c models are not quite as quick as the nitro models but they can not be called slow. The battery life however your looking at 15 minutes if your lucky, unless you drop serious serious dough on a li-ion pack, your 3 amphour pack with a decent 12 to 15 turn motor will be dead rather quickly. However charging this same pack is usually done in about a half an hour. For a bot you can expect much longer run time because i cant imagine a bot that wants to be peged at 20 mph all the time, honestly if you want to use a r/c model use the shortest gearing you can and a 27 turn model to get the speed down, itll be plenty fast for a bot (unless for some reason you actually need the speed), itll still accelerate with a load (not that the suspension is meant to support extra weight), and youll be rewarded with good runtime. I do have to mention that the rc models have suspension thats not meant to support extra weight, this can be tuned out to an extent with a quick change of the springs. However if your buying your model at radio shack forget most of the things i said above.
Reply to
leeps

[...]

Thanks. No, not a Radio Shack. We've been looking at Krazy Kevin's store in Chula Vista, who seems to know his business and has an excellent stock of components for later use. So far, a price of around $300 keeps coming up for a basic off-the-shelf unit. Padu, up the hill from me, has done wonders with a monster by adding tons of batteries and is helping us along with sound advice as well. So anything you could add would be welcome and as time goes forward we will most likely be looking for moonlight engineering talent on

1099s.

Wayne

Wayne Lundberg

id be glad to help but i havent been into rc cars for almost 5 years now so by now most everything i know is outdated, if you have any questions post em up. Id be glad to help out where i can

Reply to
leeps

We are using the RC cars as off-the-shelf mobile units upon which most effort will be in robotics. And we are looking for state of the art talent to help us as volunteer or paid consultant.

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

In what kind of environment, I would be under the impression that menouverability in close quarters (indoors) wouldnt be adequate, If it is for outdoors unmanned navigation experiments etc they are excellent if you keep the weight down. Im interested in what your project is. an excellent place to look around is towerhobbies.com

Reply to
leeps