Are any of these RC planes good gifts for a newbie?

I have a gift card good for use at the Discovery Store

and was looking to perhaps pick up a gift for my dad. He always wanted an RC plane when he was a kid and never got one. They have a few models for sale and I'm wondering if anyone here can offer some advice.

Are these planes good enough for a casual user to enjoy or are they considered junk?

Turbo-Powered Remote Control Jet:

Remote Control Air Tech Burner:
Remote Control Air-O-Commander Electric Airplane:
Thanks

-- JE

"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big old storm right in the eye and says, Gimme your best shot. I can take it."

- Kurt Russell, Big Trouble in Little China

Reply to
Hostile 17

Not junk exactly, more like decidedly overpriced children's toys.

Read the various product reviews and note that these items are described as best suited for children 12 and under.

Perhaps a better bet would be a good video or video set. Maybe Stephen Hawking's 'Universe', or one of the IMAX shuttle vids like 'Hail Columbia' or 'The Dream Is Alive, or something along those lines.

Except for the books and videos, I've found The Discovery Store to be an expensive rendition of Toys-R-Us-Does-Science-Sort-Of.

Cheers, Fred McClellan The House Of Balsa Dust

Fred McClellan

Thanks, Ken! I appreciate the detailed info.

I was thinking perhaps I might just try purchasing something from the Discovery store for resale and then using the money to buy him some other plane. So I think I'll just look for another good RC plane under $100.

So anyone want anything from the Discovery Store? :)

-- JE

"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big old storm right in the eye and says, Gimme your best shot. I can take it."

- Kurt Russell, Big Trouble in Little China

Reply to
Hostile 17

And if you can get out of the Discovery Store check out some of the Cox EZ bee`s that are hanging around.. check ebay too, gas powered

Reply to
SKYLANE42

Getting what is basically an inexpensive toy to fly is like buying a cheap telescope--it serves to make you want a better one, but that's about it.

Reply to
John R. Agnew