[CFP] Swarm Intelligence and Patterns 2005 Japan - CFP

SWARM INTELLIGENCE AND PATTERNS 2005 (SIP¥05)

2nd Int. Workshop Session at WSTST 2005 - 4th IEEE Int. Conf.
on Soft Computing as Transdisciplinary Science and Technology,
Muroran, Japan, May 25-27, 2005
Session Chairs:
Vitorino Ramos (CVRM-IST, Technical University of Lisbon, Lisbon,
PORTUGAL) and
Ajith Abraham (Bio-Inspired Grid Lab, Oklahoma State University,
Tulsa, USA).
SCOPE AND CALL FOR PAPERS:

Self-organizing intelligent complex systems typically are comprised
of a large number of frequently similar components or events. Through
their process, a pattern at the global-level of a system emerges
solely from numerous interactions among the lower-level components of
the system. Moreover, the rules specifying interactions among the
system's components are executed using only local information, without
reference to the global pattern, which, as in many real-world problems
is not easily accessible or possible to be found. Stigmergy, a kind of
indirect communication and learning by the environment found in social
insects is a well know example of self-organization, providing not
only vital clues in order to understand how the components can
interact to produce a complex pattern and engineer applications, as
can pinpoint simple biological non-linear rules and means to achieve
an improved design of artificial intelligent systems.
Swarm Intelligence is precisely a relatively novel discipline devoted
to the study of self-organizing collective processes in Nature and
Human artefacts as well as on their applications. An example of
particularly successful research direction in swarm intelligence is
ant colony optimization (ACO), which focuses on discrete optimization
problems, and has been applied successfully to a large number of hard
discrete optimization problems including the travelling salesman, the
quadratic assignment, scheduling, vehicle routing, etc., as well as to
routing in telecommunication networks. However, apart from the
remarkable successful applications in optimization as well as on their
critical features as a bio-inspired computational paradigm, a small
number of works have still been devoted to Data Classification and
Retrieval Systems, Clustering, Pattern Recognition, Distributed
Data-Mining, Web Mining and GRIDS, Collaborative Filtering, Image
Analysis and Signal Processing, Pattern Formation, Perception, Memory
and Generalization.
At the present section we seek to explore the applicability of these
bio-inspired approaches to the development of self-organizing,
evolving, adaptive and autonomous information technologies, which will
meet the requirements of next-generation information systems, such as
diversity, scalability, robustness, and resilience. SIP 2005
constitutes the 2nd edition of this International Workshop series. The
last one was held within ISDA'04, Budapest, Hungary.
TOPICS OF INTEREST include, but are not limited to, applications and
theory dealing with any aspect of Swarm Intelligence, as well as
Pattern Recognition, Data and Image Processing, Artifcial Habitats and
New Media as:
- Intelligent Systems Design.
- Advanced Signal and Image processing algorithms.
- Pattern Recognition and Emergent Behaviour.
- Data Categorization, Visualization. Data and Knowledge Extraction /
Representation.
- Feature Extraction and Selection. Unsupervised Learning.
- Information Systems and Knowledge Management.
- Collective Intelligence, Behaviour and Search. Exploring versus
Exploiting.
- Artificial Habitats and Information.
- Exploratory Data Analysis. Data-Mining.
- Cognition, Interactivity, Signals and Communication.
- Bottom-up Strategies and Non-Hierarchical Systems.
- Adpative Systems and Self-Configuration.
- Mapping Concepts, Cognitive Maps and Self-Organizing Maps.
- Particle Swarm /
Cultural Algorithms.
- Complex Adaptive Systems.
- Stigmergy, Self-Organization, Metamorphosis, Emergence and
Co-Evolution.
- Artificial Life as well as other Animal Societies bio-inspired
algorithms.
- Flocks, Herds and Schools.
- Artificial Societies and Web-based Communities.
- Wireless Communication, Cellular Systems, Indirect Communication
through artefacts.
- Social Networks and New Media.
- Artificial Immune Systems and Self-Organization.
- Classification, Sorting, Data Retrieval, Clustering.
- Web Mining, Semantic Web, Collaborative Mining, GRIDS, Network
security.
- Auto-Catalysis, Positive and Negative Feedbacks, Cybernetics.
- Swarms and Cooperative Robotics.
- Distributed algorithms, self-regulation, self-repair and
self-maintenance ontologies.
- Biomedical, multimedia and e-commerce applications.
- Collective on-line Games. iDesign, Active aLif(v)e Art and
e-Artefacts.
- Generative and Computational Art.
- Hybridization with other methods (e.g. Evolutionary Computation and
Neural Networks).
PAPER SUBMISSION:
All accepted papers should follow Springer LNCS series format.
Submitted papers have to be original, 8 to 10 pages long, containing
new and original results. Author's guidelines and format instructions
can be downloaded from the following links (format files): General
Author Instructions, Microsoft Word Template or Latex Template. Please
send the full paper (PDF) as an email attachment to Vitorino Ramos
with a cc to Ajith Abraham no longer than November 1, 2004. Accepted
papers will be published by Springer Verlag, at LNCS.
IMPORTANT DATES:
Paper submission due (full paper) / Final Deadline: November 1, 2004.
Notification of acceptance: December 1, 2004.
Deadline for camera ready papers and authors' registration: January
15, 2005.
Conference: Muroran, Japan, May 25-27, 2005.
CONTACTS:
Vitorino Ramos: snipped-for-privacy@alfa.ist.utl.pt
Ajith Abraham: snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org
************** comp.robotics.research (moderated) **************
Charter:

Meta-discussions/information: snipped-for-privacy@metamech.com
Reply to
Vitorino RAMOS
it. If we compromise with it and let it recover from its sickness, it will eventually wipe out all of our freedom. SIMPLER SOCIAL PROBLEMS HAVE PROVED INTRACTABLE 136. If anyone still imagines that it would be possible to reform the system in such a way as to protect freedom from technology, let him consider how clumsily and for the most part unsuccessfully our society has dealt with other social problems that are far more simple and straightforward. Among other things, the system has failed to stop environmental degradation, political corruption, drug trafficking or domestic abuse. 137. Take our environmental problems, for example. Here the conflict of values is straightforward: economic expedience now versus saving some of our natural resources for our grandchildren [22] But on this subject we get only a lot of blather and obfuscation from the people who have power, and nothing like a clear, consistent line of action, and we keep on piling up environmental problems that our grandchildren will have to live with. Attempts to resolve the environmental issue consist of struggles and compromises between different factions, some of which are ascendant at one moment, others at another moment. The line of struggle changes with the shifting currents of public opinion. This is not a rational process, or is it one that is likely to lead to a timely and successful solution to the problem. Major social problems, if they get "solved" at all, are rarely or never solved through any rational, comprehensive plan. They just work themselves out through a process in which various competing groups pursing their own usually short-term) self-interest [23] arrive (mainly by luck) at some more or less stable modus vivendi. In fact, the principles we formulated in paragraphs 100-106 make it seem d
Reply to
Vitorino RAMOS