Charging a 12v lead acid batery

While charging my bots battery recently I smelled something funny, so I checked it and the battery was very hot. I pulled it off the charger and
when It cooled it was showing 8.xx volts, so I pitched it. I bought a new battery and decided to make sure it was a full charge by putting it on the charger. I hooked up a volt meter to monitor it and it charged until the voltage read 15.82 volts, then went into "float" mode and held it at 14.66 volts. Isn't this too high for both voltages? Is my charger fried too? So for a normal sealed lead acid battery, here are my questions.
What is the correct reading for a full battery after charging?
What voltage should it be charged to?
What voltage should it be held at to float charge it? ( I think this is 13.8V)
What is the minimum voltage it should be discharged to before recharging?
Thanks, Ringo

should be close to 13V (about 13.2V)

13.8V
Yep.
Check the manufacturer, but I'd say about 11.5V to 12V. If it's not a 'deep-cycle' battery keep it closer to the 12V than the 11.5V.
-- Bye, Ray
http://home.hccnet.nl/raymond.van.elst / Mobile robot, walker and I-Cybie
See http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/index.htm
http://www.cadex.com/ look in the right hand column