could this be a good way to make cheap pneumatic actuators?

It seems to me that the need for precise tolerances of pneumatic cylinders pushes the costs up. Could a tube that bends when inflated,like some
pressure gauges, or a balloon work well(strength,precision,reliability)?
Yeah, they're called "air muscles" and can be easily constructed out of parts found around the home. However, pneumatic cyclinders or air muscles by themselves are useless. What's needed is a small, cheap, low-power electro-mechanical valve. To date no such valve exists.

Any idea why not?
Would accepting leaks, low operating speed, and relatively short lifetime help?
Chris S wrote:

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:27:01 -0500, "Chris S"

I've seen some reference to having a piece of muscle wire pull on the back side of the center core in a tire valve to control air flow. Never seen one actually built though.