Encoders

Me and my systems team are trying to find a good quality quadrature encoder for our Motor Controller. We are currently aiming for one with
of course Phase A, Phase B, and an index, but we are also looking into some with an internal counter. It is the hope of the team to get a high quality encder so that we don't need such a high quality processor. We have heard of Quadrature Encoders that were used on DSP boards, but currently are trying to find one on the market. It would be great if the quadrature encoder is under $5. Any help would be much appreciated.
Add pictures here
✖
I think you will find it impossible to get a quadrature encoder for $5.00
You will find it difficult to get ones for less than $50.00
They are generally available for between $75 and $150
http://www.newark.com/NewarkWebCommerce/newark/en_US/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU3C3007&CMP ¯C-QO1721829242&QTexthttp://www.newark.com/NewarkWebCommerce/newark/en_US/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU F5821&CMP¯C-QO1721829242&QText
--
- Alan Kilian <alank(at)timelogic.com>
Director of Bioinformatics, TimeLogic Corporation 763-449-7622

Add pictures here
✖
I am in the same Systems team as Ben, and I think my teammate may have mixed up his terms. The post was supposed to ask about the "decoder" chip between the encoder and the microprocessor. We recently found one chip that fit our criteria:
LS7266R1 - http://www.usdigital.com/products/ls7266/
But we were wondering if you guys know of any others in the same category as the LS7266R1 so that we could do a little comparison and pick the best one. Thank you, and sorry for the confusion.
- Jim
P.S. - Our desired price range of around $5 would be for quantities of 100, as we are designing with future manufacturing in mind.
snipped-for-privacy@student.oc.edu (Ben) wrote in message

Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 06:46:56 -0700, OC Systems Team wrote:

I have a dual SPI/parallel interfaced 12 bit encoder counter design that fits in a XC9572XL CPLD (about $2.00). This has input digital filtering and a delta counter design (the count is cleared when read) The delta counter design makes it easy to support position counters of any size by just adding the current delta (a signed number) to a software maintained sum of any desired size.
One advantage of a CPLD based encoder counter is that it wont become obsolete like ASIC ones (just move the design to nerw CPLD/FPGA etc)
I can send you the (VHDL) source or JEDEC file if you wish
Peter Wallace
Add pictures here
✖

There is the old HCTL2000 (HCTL2016, HCTL2020 etc). Last time I looked for these was ages ago, and they were damn expensive. The suggestion made by Peter Wallace (VHDL->CPLD) sounds a lot better.
--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'x' and 'invalid' when replying by email)
snipped-for-privacy@msn.com (Randy Haas) wrote in message

Actually, we did decide to scrap the LS7266R1 for a second PIC processor. It turns out that the LS7266R1 runs about $9.00 in quantities of 100, while the PIC runs a little over $5.00. So now we just have to figure out the intricacies of dual-processing. More details can be found on this thread:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&threadmA65D255.33A0%40gmccomb.com&prev=/groups%3Fnum%3D25%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26group%3Dcomp.robotics.misc%26start%3D0
In case that didn't paste correctly, it's the thread entitled: "DC Motor Controller Design Suggestions... Please"
Man, I wish I could change the subject of that thread now. It sounds like a little kid begging his parents for something. But then again, compared to how much some of you guys on here know, I am just a little kid.
- Jim
Add pictures here
✖
Will you be able to count the sort of speeds encountered in a DC motor?
6500 rpm + 500 line encoder = 216,666 quadrature states a second.
Mike