Servo Controls

I am currently trying to upgrade a grinder machine. I am trying to control a baldor microflex drive to position the grinder. The encoder on the x and y axis control has a ABZ outputs. Which to I take to my high speed counter on my PLC, A, B or Z?

Can someone tell me what A B and Z stand for. Are they the same except out of phase?

Thanks,

W. Bernie Yeater

bernieyeater

google is your friend........there are a million sites about encoders and how they work Daveb

Reply to
Anonymous

Get the data sheet for your encoder. On a guess, A and B are quadrature outputs; both are needed to determine direction. If your PLC doesn't specifically have a quadrature encoder input, you will need to have an external circuit to decode A and B and guard against false readings that vibration can cause. (Email me for details.) Z is probably a once-around index used to refine the coarse position indication provided by limit switches. Did you think it was simple? Silly boy! :-)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Avins

As Jerry said, the most likely interpretation is that the A, B and Z channels are the two phases of the quadrature plus index pulse. Data sheets are your friend.

I would get a PLC or motion controller that can handle an encoder input. Yours may, for that matter.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

A matter of about 10 seconds found this typical encoder data-sheet in which the functions are clearly identified.

You will see that A and B are the quadrature outputs and Z is the once per revolution index pulse. The datasheet I have provided the link for even gives a timing diagram for these signals.

Next time Google first as by learning to use that useful tool would more than likely have given you the enawers you desired. Even a search on the manufacturer would probably have turned up more specific information.

Reply to
Paul E. Bennett

Try motion snipped-for-privacy@baldor.com - you'll get some swift and good advice.

Reply to