Servo Controls

I am currently trying to upgrade a grinder machine. I am trying to control a baldor microflex drive to position the grinder. The encoder
on the x and y axis control has a ABZ outputs. Which to I take to my high speed counter on my PLC, A, B or Z?
Can someone tell me what A B and Z stand for. Are they the same except out of phase?
Thanks,
W. Bernie Yeater www.cirrusengineering.com
On 1 Apr 2007 17:59:41 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@msn.com"

http://www.usdigital.com/knowledge/encoderfaq.shtml
google is your friend........there are a million sites about encoders and how they work Daveb
snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote:

Get the data sheet for your encoder. On a guess, A and B are quadrature outputs; both are needed to determine direction. If your PLC doesn't specifically have a quadrature encoder input, you will need to have an external circuit to decode A and B and guard against false readings that vibration can cause. (Email me for details.) Z is probably a once-around index used to refine the coarse position indication provided by limit switches. Did you think it was simple? Silly boy! :-)
Jerry
snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote:

As Jerry said, the most likely interpretation is that the A, B and Z channels are the two phases of the quadrature plus index pulse. Data sheets are your friend.
I would get a PLC or motion controller that can handle an encoder input. Yours may, for that matter.
--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote:

A matter of about 10 seconds found this typical encoder data-sheet in which the functions are clearly identified.
<http://www.beiied.com/PDFs2/H25_Incremental_Encoder.pdf
You will see that A and B are the quadrature outputs and Z is the once per revolution index pulse. The datasheet I have provided the link for even gives a timing diagram for these signals.
Next time Google first as by learning to use that useful tool would more than likely have given you the enawers you desired. Even a search on the manufacturer would probably have turned up more specific information.
Paul E. Bennett ....................<email:// snipped-for-privacy@amleth.demon.co.uk>
snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote:

Try motion snipped-for-privacy@baldor.com - you'll get some swift and good advice.