Floppy spindle motors - good for anything?

I've got a pile of 5.25" and 3.5" floppy drive spindle motors that I don't really feel like tossing out. I know how to drive the 5.25" motors (haven't tried with the 3.5" motors).

Is there some practical use these motors can be put to or are they just no good? Remember, I'm talking about the spindle motors, not the juicy TEAC stepper motors from back when too much engineering was never enough.

Reply to
Tim Polmear

mount a mirror on em and couple them with a camera as a laser scanner? could get real precise distance and map data with something like that.

Reply to
jim dorey

Sounds like a lot of R&D work :)

The good th>>

Reply to
Tim Polmear

I just salvage the bearings from them. See how much these bearings cost to buy individually!

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Ashley Clarke

Reply to
Mr Clarke

Good Morning!

I am just in the process of building a Propellor-Clock/textdisplay with a 5,25" Spindlemotor. looks very fitting, bit You have to 'tune' the rpms...

Michael.

Reply to
Michael Buchholz

Hello Michael, I've seen things like that before - in fact I think I have plans for one. It might be an interesting project to look at some time.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Polmear