hacked steppers, servos, DC motors into something else ?

Hello everyone!
I'm curious to see if anyone has hacked steppers, servos, or other DC motors to make something a little different than the
original intention. (I know about converting a servo to continuous rotation, so you can skip that one.)
I'm thinking about things like using the coils, modifying armatures, etc. Turning rotary motion into linear motion, etc. ...
Thanks! JCD
On a radio-control airplane board, there is a lot of discussion about modifying CD-Rom drive motors, basically turning them into brusless DC motors with more power. Here is one of the threads; http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t 7606
Joe Dunfee
Here is a link to a thread with an extensive video about re-winding a CD-ROM drive motor.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t 5518&highlight+rom+motor
Joe Dunfee

Awesome! This is really cool. I used to get a big kick out of those old plastic model kits where you built a little motor from the ground up - you wound the coil and everything.
This is great for me because I have several old CD-ROM drives in one of my "junk" boxes.
Very good info - thanks ! JCDeen