hacked steppers, servos, DC motors into something else ?

Hello everyone!

I'm curious to see if anyone has hacked steppers, servos, or other DC motors to make something a little different than the original intention. (I know about converting a servo to continuous rotation, so you can skip that one.)

I'm thinking about things like using the coils, modifying armatures, etc. Turning rotary motion into linear motion, etc. ...

Thanks! JCD

Reply to
pogo

On a radio-control airplane board, there is a lot of discussion about modifying CD-Rom drive motors, basically turning them into brusless DC motors with more power. Here is one of the threads;

Joe Dunfee

Reply to
cadcoke4

Here is a link to a thread with an extensive video about re-winding a CD-ROM drive motor.

Joe Dunfee

Reply to
cadcoke4

Awesome! This is really cool. I used to get a big kick out of those old plastic model kits where you built a little motor from the ground up - you wound the coil and everything.

This is great for me because I have several old CD-ROM drives in one of my "junk" boxes.

Very good info - thanks ! JCDeen

Reply to
pogo