technical term for measuring of human gaits ?

I'm wondering what is the technical term for measuring of human gaits - like the timing, distance of swinging a leg, angle of rotation of joints, etc., for legged robots. Is there a database of this sort of thing taken from live animals and people ?

Thanks ! JCD

Reply to
pogo

Start by looking for biometrics (old, non-id-meaning), gait analysis, or motion capture.

From a search for "gait database":

From a search for "motion capture database":
Somewhere I have 30s snippets of 100Hz motion capture data for several people walking on a treadmill. These contain XYZ position data for roughly 23 body markers. But many markers contained glitching due to obscuration, etc. -- the CMU data looks better.

- Daniel

Reply to
D Herring

Did you ever do anything with the CImg library back in June 2006?

I assume from this post you intend to build a four legged walking machine?

JC

Reply to
casey

Hello again, John! Nah ... I never really did much with the CImg library. I got sidetracked with building my website and designing the robotics platform to sell on it. I can't help but think that sometime soon (in the next 5 years I would hope) that useful image processing will be affordable for the hobbyist. ( The Evolution Robotics vision software is now running on embedded machines, so it seems like something ought to be available to us tinkerers relatively soon. )

As for building a walking machine, I would prefer to build a 2-legged one (humanoid). I'd really like to see a child-sized humanoid platform - maybe 3 feet tall - that would be "affordable" ($5-10,000 or less, if you call that affordable) But a four legged one could be just as useful, I suppose.

Shameless, but infrequent, plug for my site:

pogo

Thanks! Exactly what I am looking for! Thanks again ! JCD

Reply to
pogo