Hacker alert: Mongoose "Dirt Grinder"

I was wandering the aisles of my local Dick's Sporting Goods a few days back and I ran across a 24V electric rugrat-mobile that looks like it has real potential as
a robotic platform.
I didn't locate a manufacturer's 'web site, but here's a picture of it:
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com / sm-mongoose-dirt-grinder--pi-1983650.html
The specs include 2-12V batteries, a 300W motor powering the chain drive, 4" pneumatic tires, and shocks (2x front, 1x rear).
Hm. Rated at 90-150min operating, 300W/24V sorta18-30Ah (could explain the weight). And the two-speed "parental control" sounds like a good safety interlock. <grin>
I'd have grabbed one right off the stand but for its weight (around 100 lbs). Oh, and the price tag: $400. Sigh...
Frank McKenney, McKenney Associates Richmond, Virginia / (804) 320-4887 Munged E-mail: frank uscore mckenney ayut minds pring dawt cahm (y'all) -- It is necessary for us to learn from othersˇ mistakes. You will not live long enough to make them all yourself. -- Admiral Hyman G. Rickover

‚úĖ