help getting started in robotics

Not until I got in to robotics did I know the enormous number of sensors that were made not including having most of the spec
information sail over my head. Could someone get me a boost? Specifically, who makes the best sensors or is this mostly personal preference?
I could also use a link that points me to a spinning-mass gyro that I could use as a sensor.
Thanks in advance.