interesting stuff

Hi All,
I came across these "QTC pill" sensors which look interesting:
http://www.tep.org.uk/millennium_smart_qtc.html
You can buy them here:
http://www.mutr.co.uk/prodDetail.aspx?prodID 8
Actually the whole of the above site is worth exploring. They have carbon fibre, polymorph, acrylic and lots of other stuff at reasonable prices.
Gordan McComb describes similar "home made" sensors to the "QTC pill" (in his book "robot builders bonanza"), using antistatic foam and aluminium foil.
Another interesting component is the Maxim MAX471. This is a chip for measuring current flow. You could use these to measure the current used by a servo. The harder the servo works (against a load) the more current it will take. Use one for each leg of a walker and you should be able to see how each leg is supporting the bot.
info on these is at:
http://pdfserv.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/MAX471-MAX472.pdf
I also came across a site in the UK that sells the hamamatsu sensor used in the "laser target finder sensor" shown at:
http://www.philohome.com/sensors/lasersensor.htm http://www.active-robots.com/products/sensors/sensors-hamamatsu.shtml
And my own work in progress is at:
http://www.xcprod.com/ROBOT
Regards Sergio Masci
http://www.xcprod.com/titan/XCSB - optimising PIC compiler FREE for personal non-commercial use
.

Congratulations Sergio, you are showing the way in how to share know-how and how-to stuff in this new world of robotics and advanced electronics and mechanics. I love your site, and really appreciate your offer to give more for just a few bucks. I know you are not doing this for profit, because there are not enough robotics buffs in the world to make you rich at $2 a hit. And I certainly don't feel mislead by inviting me into your site, sharing, and then asking for a small contribution to see the wall-paper sized drawings you already give for free.
Wayne
On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, Wayne Lundberg wrote:

Thanks Wayne.
It does get a little depresssing sometimes to see thousands of downloads (pictures and software) being taken from the site without even a word of thanks.
Regards Sergio Masci
http://www.xcprod.com/titan/XCSB - optimising PIC compiler FREE for personal non-commercial use
.

and