Logic Analyzers for Robotic Development

Hi,

For robotics development, I consider a logic analyzer to be as essential as an oscilloscope.

A recent post documents an impressive logic analyzer that one can build.

Unfortunately, I don't have time for another project.

With that in mind, does anyone have any suggestions as to what used logic analyzers might be useful for development?

In the past, I have looked at the Tektronix 1240/1 series and would like to hear any comments concerning them.

Thanks in advance,

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

Although I have a reasonable logic analyser, I find myself using it less and less these days. I find the combination of rapid in-system-programming and a digital storage scope to be much more effective. Use ISP to define a trigger signal near the point of interest, and use the scope to capture it - this works for both processor and fpga based development. In circuit emulators have their uses, but tend to be expensive and become obsolete quickly.

Logic analysers can be useful if you have complex bus activity. Some people build complex projects in one go, and are left with the task of debugging hardware and software simultaneously. I tend to go the other route of building and testing components and sub-systems incrementally.

I would spend the money on the best scope that I could afford.

regards, Dave

Reply to
Dave Garnett

There are a number of logic analyzer "front ends" that plug into your PC, which is more economic and takes up less space. The downside is that they may not have as many features or handle as high a frequency as the stand alone units.

I have a "front end" unit, and am quite happy with it, but I will say I've only needed to use it a couple of times for robot debugging. Most robot bugs seem to be software related, and so a good software development system may be of more value than a high-end logic scope.

All the best!

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur Ross

Good boxes, but hard to come by these days, WITH the probes/pods.

I am using a rockylogic ANT-8, which compliments my Tek 4 channel DSO quite nicely.

Reply to
Dave VanHorn