low PWM rates on ESCs

Lithium Polymer batteries really shine in this area - capable of sourcing around 10 C (10 x their capacity rating) without damage. The downside is that they are expensive and are not tolerant to misuse, i.e., they can explode when charged incorrectly or shorted.

-Brian

Reply to
Brian Dean

: mlw wrote: : > One of the issues with such high currents is overall power. What the : hell : > kind of power source can deliver 50A, at any significant voltage, for : a : > significant amount of time? : >

: Since the ESCs are used with model cars and airplanes, they're usually : powered by NiCad packs, prolly AA cells, and they're pulled flat in : just a few minutes. So for the exactly 3 minutes and 10.43 sec : [whatever !!!] before the batteries give up, they're pulling maybe 8.4V : * 50A = 420W, or 9.6V * 50A = 480W. Given life is so short, I imagine : the guys running the cars want some real performance.

Actually, we're usually using sub-c cells of 1700 to 3000 MAH (milli amp hour) capacity that can deliver 40 Amps without even breathing hard. It was a pretty standard run time that you can flatten a fully charged

2000mah pack in under 5 minutes in a competition race. Do the math, that is a LOT of current. We're using 8 gauge wiring usually and those packs are HOT when they come off the track. I kept a cooler with me and charged my packs in plastic bags in the cooler.

Scary huh? DLC

Reply to
Dennis Clark

NiCd Sub-C cells frequently - model drag cars have motors with numbers of turns in single digits - the battery pack lasts seconds.

Deep.

Reply to
Deep Reset