Mars Exploration Rovers Update - February 22, 2004

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/status.html
SPIRIT UPDATE: Trench Exam Continues - sol 49, Feb 22, 2004
Spirit continued its inspection of the trench dubbed "Road Cut" during
the rover's 49th sol, ending at 1:56 p.m. Sunday, PST. It used three instruments on its robotic arm to examine the subsurface soil exposed by the sol 47 digging of the trench.
Before dawn on sol 49, Spirit switched from its Moessbauer spectrometer to its alpha particle X-ray spectrometer for analysis of soil on the trench floor. Later, controllers played "Coisinha do Pai," by Beth Carvalho, as wake-up music. The rover inspected targets on the wall and floor of the trench with its microscope, then placed the Moessbauer spectrometer against a target on the trench wall for identifying the iron-bearing minerals there. The miniature thermal emission spectrometer took remote readings on the rover's wheel tracks in the morning and afternoon.
Plans for sol 50 (ending at 2:35 p.m. Monday, PST) call for finishing inspection of the trench, then resuming the journey toward the rim of a crater dubbed "Bonneville," followed by a longer drive the following sol.
OPPORTUNITY UPDATE: Busy Microscope at "El Capitan" - sol 28, Feb 22, 2004
On sol 28, which ended at 1:38 a.m. Sunday, PST, Opportunity moved its arm repeatedly to make close-up inspections the "El Capitan" part of the street-curb-sized outcrop in the crater where the rover is working. Opportunity took 46 pictures with its microscope, examining several locations on "El Capitan" at a range of focal distances. It also placed its Moessbauer spectrometer and its alpha particle X-ray spectrometer on the rock target to assess what minerals and what elements are present.
Controllers chose the song "I am a Rock," performed by Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel, as Opportunity's sol 28 wake-up music. The sol's activities included observations by the miniature thermal emission spectrometer and the panoramic camera, as well as the use of the tools on the arm.
The arm's complex maneuvers totaled 25 minutes of actual arm movement. Rover planners' success in accomplishing them drew a round of applause in the Mission Support Area at JPL during the afternoon downlink from Mars.
During the martian night, early on sol 29, Opportunity woke up and moved its arm again to switch from the Moessbauer spectrometer to the alpha particle X-ray spectrometer. Additional close-up inspections are planned for later in sol 29, which ends at 2:17 a.m. Monday. Plans for sol 30 feature the use of the rock abrasion tool to grind through the surface at one target on "El Capitan."
February 22, 2004
Ron wrote:

Cram it up your ass, Ron, the game is over. Show us some spectroscopy.
Thomas Lee Elifritz http://elifritz.members.atlantic.net
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 02:31:32 GMT, Thomas Lee Elifritz

I suspect that Ron has killfiled you. I hadn't but it's too tiresome to keep hearing the same old tune. buh-bye.
--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

You wouldn't know what to do with it if you had it. Bye bye little boy. PLONK

Those interested in the rovers will visit NASA's website. Those that are not will be annoyed by Ron's redundant updates. However, we should still remain civil. Afterall, you could always just killfile him if he's truely disturbing you.

February 23, 2004
Chris S wrote:

Let me see, our cities are hellholes, six trillion dollar debt, 500 million dollar deficit, wars with countries fighting US with weapons that we manufactured, air almost unbreathable, no national health insurance, traffic snarled, nuclear and toxic waste, etc ... and you want civility. I posit that I *am* being civil. Thanks for protecting the home planet, NASA.

And likewise, him me. Just think of what we could do in space if we actually were a civilized space faring species. I use words, they use chainsaws, bulldozers and bombs. Ron is just another innocent civilian caught in the crossfire.
Ron would be well advised to stay away from this particular mission. This is unique. Marsgate is going to bring NASA and this administration down. Those press releases are just plain idiotic.
Thomas Lee Elifritz http://elifritz.members.atlantic.net
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Thomas Lee Elifritz wrote: |> Those interested in the rovers will visit NASA's website. Those that |> are not will be annoyed by Ron's redundant updates. However, we should |> still remain civil. | |Let me see, our cities are hellholes, six trillion dollar debt, 500 |million dollar deficit, wars with countries fighting US with weapons |that we manufactured, air almost unbreathable, no national health |insurance, traffic snarled, nuclear and toxic waste, etc ... and you |want civility. I posit that I *am* being civil. Thanks for protecting |the home planet, NASA.
Let's not beat around the bush, then.
You want to be one of the first colonists on the Moon?
February 23, 2004
Matthew Montchalin wrote:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=newsgroup+filter&btnG=Google+Search
It's very easy. Consider it done.