Mars Exploration Rovers Update - March 3, 2004

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/status.html
SPIRIT UPDATE: Rock Abrasion Tool Back in Action - sol 59, Mar 03, 2004
Waking up to "One More Time" by The Real McCoy, Spirit completed a successful, 2 millimeter-deep grind (.08 inches) into a target slightly left of the depression it made yestersol during its abbreviated operation. A five-minute brush to clean the hole followed.
Completing the sol, which ended at 8:31 p.m. Wednesday, March 03, Spirit's arm then switched instruments so the Moessbauer spectrometer could examine "Humphrey's" new shallow cavity.
Before this sol's four-hour grinding, the microscopic imager and the alpha particle X-ray spectrometer finished observations of yestersol's rock abrasion tool depression. To document Spirit's current position - about halfway to the "Bonneville" crater rim - the panoramic camera snapped the first of several images that, together, will provide a 360-degree view.
Engineers identified the software issue that caused the rock abrasion tool to terminate its original planned grinding on sol 58. The minor bug will be fixed when new flight software is loaded at the end of March.
In the coming sols, Spirit will complete the alpha particle X-ray spectrometer observations of the rock abrasion tool hole and get an up-close view with the microscopic imager. The final images will be obtained for the full panoramic view of Spirit's current position. After miniature thermal emission spectrometer and panoramic camera observations of the hole are conducted, Spirit will continue on toward "Bonneville" crater.
OPPORTUNITY UPDATE: Opportunity Hits Pay Dirt - sol 38, Mar 03, 2004
On sol 38, which ended at 8:13 a.m. PST on Wednesday, March 3, Opportunity awoke to "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?" by Creedence Clearwater Revival in honor of the confirmation that liquid water once flowed through the rocks at Meridiani Planum.
In the morning of sol 38, Opportunity observed the atmosphere with the panoramic camera and miniature thermal emission spectrometer. Then, the rover turned the miniature thermal emission spectrometer to stare at the ground for science observations. Later, Opportunity took stereo microscopic images and Mφssbauer spectrometer readings of the soil target dubbed "Pay Dirt."
In the early afternoon Local Solar Time, Opportunity stowed the rover arm, took a panoramic camera image of "Last Chance," and drove a very short distance of 0.4 meters (16 inches) toward "Last Chance" to prepare for the deployment of the robotic arm.
The proposed plan for sol 39, which will end at 8:52 a.m. PST on Thursday, March 4, is to start the morning by taking images of a rare solar transit of the martian moon, Deimos. The solar transit of Deimos causes a solar eclipse only twice per Mars year (one Mars year equals roughly two Earth years). Later in the sol, Opportunity is scheduled to take a microscopic panorama of the layers in the "Last Chance" rock formation.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Ron wrote:

NASA has identified a new problem with the grinder: http://images.spaceref.com/news/2004/rover.armspin.mov
Add pictures here
βœ–
Sporkman wrote:

Which rover was that? Now we'll have to rename it Grommit. :-)
--
Greg Crinklaw
Astronomical Software Developer

Sick. Really sick. Hehehe.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Oh, you made me laugh out loud!!
Thanks for the link.
--
- Alan Kilian <alank(at)timelogic.com>
Director of Bioinformatics, TimeLogic Corporation 763-449-7622
Alan Kilian wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

With an alias like Sporkman, I don't think that American competency has anything to worry about with you.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Ahhh . . . a patriot who can't take a joke. Let me guess: Ronald Reagan was your favorite President. And maybe YOU can guess -- whether I'm an American or otherwise. And whether or not I'm also a patriot, albeit tongue-in-cheek.
George wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

Puleeeeaaaasssseeee! Spare me the insults.

Why should I give a shit?

Add pictures here
βœ–
George wrote:

Why should I spare you insults when you started the insulting?
Add pictures here
βœ–

Reagan
So you consider your alias to be an insult? Who decided to use it, you or I? Making light of someone's fake name is not the same level of insult as accusing someone of being a fan of Ronald Reagan. Ugh! Come on, man. Even I'm not that cruel.
Add pictures here
βœ–