CMUCam2 and illumination

Hi there,
I wonder if anyone could give me some advice on illumination for my Cam? I want to use it indoors and there will be some light in the
room. But I don't know what kind of light... Different rooms.
Does anyone use some lighting for the cam? If yes, what kind?
I'm thinking of an array of bright white LEDs - good, bad? What about the range of this installation? Any idea? I need 2-3m.
Thanks
Gerhard