Indirect Illumination Observation and Tip

If any of you have ever seen strange dark spots blanketing your model when using Indirect Illumination, I may have found a cure for your PW2 chicken pox.

Here is an image in which my room size is very small. In this case the room is just large enough to encompass the model...

You can see how blotchy the dark areas are. If you look close, you can see the spots. Sometimes they are very obvious.

Here is an image in which I enlarged the room by several hundred inches...

As you can see, the larger room produces a superior image.

I hope this helps someone!

Mike Wilson

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

thanks for the tip. in Sw 2003 the problem with a large room is , that it effects the perspective of your object (how bigger the room the less perspective). I had to adjust my perspective to a value of 0,5 to get a realistic looking picture. i havent tried it in 2004 yet .

regards,

Bram van Welzenis

"Mike J. Wilson" schreef in bericht news:6vednTsf snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

Reply to
B. van Welzenis

Hey Mike,

Was your room a physical room or a PW2 room and did they include a ceiling?

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Mike,

Thanks for the tip. I tested it this morning and it does work!!! Paul I adjusted the settings to a PW2 room. I tried the ceiling setting at 0 and other hieghts. The ceiling setting dosen't seem to affect anything it's the length and width sizes that matter. It dosen't even matter if you have the walls, floors or ceiling visble. I started with a low number and then kept increasing my values by 100 until the spots went away.

What a great tip Mike. I have been struggling with this for a while. Thanks for posting.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Rodriguez

I got that the other day, but the dots were on the floor. No matter what I adjusted it would not go away. I will try the bigger room size. Paul, in mine it was not a physical room that I created. I just used the floor and offset it at a distance of 0.0"

I though that it was the fact that I turned on the shadow effect in the lighting source, I dunno.

Is there an adjustment on how much persective you get, or is it just standard default and thats it? Maybe there is some seceret setting somewhere, cuz i have never been able to find it.

Reply to
Arthur Y-S

For this demonstration, I used a spherical PW2 room to simplify things. However, the dots also show up using the linear walls as well.

Mike

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

Arthur,

Set your view to perspective and then go to the pull down menu VIEW--MODIFY--PERSPECTIVE. The smaller the value the greater the distortion.

Reply to
Rob Rodriguez

Adding to Robert, if after modifying the perspective value and the perspective is still not enough for your physical room, use the hide/show trick (you will have to re-adjust the perspective value).

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Ok. So I guess this means the scattered rays in a smaller room create more noise and the larger refracted boundaries reduce that cross over noise?

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

this blotchiness is caused by a phenomena in mental ray

in the full release the environment or model space dictates how many rays are generated thus if there are not enough rays you get blotchiness you can overide this but it increases render time now the bigger the model space the more rays need to be cast i am assuming when they wrote in global illumination to pw2 they automatically calculate rays based on model space this cures blotchiness

just a question though when you increase th model space does the render tim increase

Reply to
mikemcdermid

It has not been my experience that the render time increases. If it is, its just a second or two. It was a very wierd discovery - better quality, no hit taken on time, just by adjusting room size - even if the room is not visible or reflective.

Reply to
Edward T Eaton