model lighting & power sources

I've been doing a bit of research on lighting models (sci fi stuff, in my case) and I have a very basic grasp of some of the requirements one faces if LEDs are chosen.

Right now I'm considering doing a mix'n'match of some LEDs and some model railroad bulbs. Point being that I suspect I'll need something a bit stronger than a 9-volt battery.

Googling things like DC power adapter came up with some expensive-sounding choices, after which I remembered Radio Shack offers various generic adapters.

Has anyone ever used those, and if so, do they work well? Are there any particular criteria I should follow in making a choice, or does it depend (I suspect) on my final lighting design?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Casey Tompkins

Casey Tompkins wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

fi stuff, in

requirements

and some

something a

Shack

Are there

or does it

Hey there, I have an Aliens Drop Ship I want to do uo some time. I found adocument called LED_INFO.DOC. I can't find the original site but I have the doc file. It has a quite a bit of detail. You be surprised how little power you need, those LEDs are quite efficient. If you verify this is a real email address I'll send you a copy.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Well, if it shows as snipped-for-privacy@cinci.rr.com, then yes, that's it!

Thanks much, Frank!

Reply to
Casey Tompkins

Miller Engineering also makes some nice small fluorescent bulbs for models that require a 12VDC external power source.

Reply to
Ron

"Gray Ghost" skrev i en meddelelse

Is is possible to send a copy in this direction too? Remove NOSPAM in my email.

Reply to
Uffe Bærentsen

Casey Tompkins wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

fi stuff,

the

those

email

Check yer email.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

"Uffe Bærentsen" wrote in news:42bd9f8e$0$312$ snipped-for-privacy@dread11.news.tele.dk:

en meddelelse

the

bit

those

email

Check yer email.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Go to the Dollar Store. There will be complete LED type lighting systems for a buck button batteries included. There are also those real tiny very bright running LEDs embedded in a brooch. Look also for novelty lights that use plastic fibers to transmit light for various effects. They are complete systems ready for adaptation and installation and you don't have to worry about batteries, battery holders, wires and buying individual LEDs that cost more than a buck. Look also for chip based noise makers that generate a number of noise effects like machine guns, laser cannons, bombs, etc., also for a buck.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

Another source for LED's of ALL sorts and colours is auto parts stores. Particularly inthe US and Asia, with the advent of the 'tuner revolution' and the punk kids with the tiny cars that they have to have glowing in the dark with all sorts of lights, companies such as APC and others have popped out LED's of all shapes and sizes and colours.

I have purchased several sets of white, blue, and amber LED's that are all run on a 12V DC power supply. And theyr'e damned cheap some of them! I purchased a set of 8 white LED's that are perfect for using as 'overhead lighting' in dioramas for under $12 when they went on sale. You can usually find other color LED's in three or six packs for about 8 or ten bucks.

It's amazing the stuff you can find for your models in an autoparts store.

Reply to
Drew Hill

Got it. Thanks again!

Reply to
Casey Tompkins

Hey guys:

I have a small business installing LED lights on motorcycles and cars but the individual lights are small enough to fit in scale models, and can be run from a battery pack. They pull very little power and make very little heat. I have a couple of different styles of lights and lots of colors. I used the blue lights on a Millennium Falcon for the "force field" and it looked great. Let me know if you are interested and I can give you a number to call and order.

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Zack