model lighting & power sources

I've been doing a bit of research on lighting models (sci fi stuff, in my case) and I have a very basic grasp of some of the requirements
one faces if LEDs are chosen.
Right now I'm considering doing a mix'n'match of some LEDs and some model railroad bulbs. Point being that I suspect I'll need something a bit stronger than a 9-volt battery.
Googling things like DC power adapter came up with some expensive-sounding choices, after which I remembered Radio Shack offers various generic adapters.
Has anyone ever used those, and if so, do they work well? Are there any particular criteria I should follow in making a choice, or does it depend (I suspect) on my final lighting design?
Thanks in advance!

fi stuff, in

requirements
and some

something a

Shack
Are there

or does it

Hey there, I have an Aliens Drop Ship I want to do uo some time. I found adocument called LED_INFO.DOC. I can't find the original site but I have the doc file. It has a quite a bit of detail. You be surprised how little power you need, those LEDs are quite efficient. If you verify this is a real email address I'll send you a copy.
Frank
On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 23:00:38 -0500, grey snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Gray Ghost) wrote:

Thanks much, Frank!
then yes, that's it!

Check yer email.
Frank
On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 23:08:39 -0500, grey snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Gray Ghost) wrote:

Got it. Thanks again!
Gray Ghost wrote:

Miller Engineering also makes some nice small fluorescent bulbs for models that require a 12VDC external power source.

Is is possible to send a copy in this direction too? Remove NOSPAM in my email.
--
mvh Uffe

skrev i en meddelelse

the
bit
those
email
Check yer email.
Frank
Another source for LED's of ALL sorts and colours is auto parts stores. Particularly inthe US and Asia, with the advent of the 'tuner revolution' and the punk kids with the tiny cars that they have to have glowing in the dark with all sorts of lights, companies such as APC and others have popped out LED's of all shapes and sizes and colours.
I have purchased several sets of white, blue, and amber LED's that are all run on a 12V DC power supply. And theyr'e damned cheap some of them! I purchased a set of 8 white LED's that are perfect for using as 'overhead lighting' in dioramas for under $12 when they went on sale. You can usually find other color LED's in three or six packs for about 8 or ten bucks.
It's amazing the stuff you can find for your models in an autoparts store.
On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 03:06:02 GMT, Casey Tompkins

Go to the Dollar Store. There will be complete LED type lighting systems for a buck button batteries included. There are also those real tiny very bright running LEDs embedded in a brooch. Look also for novelty lights that use plastic fibers to transmit light for various effects. They are complete systems ready for adaptation and installation and you don't have to worry about batteries, battery holders, wires and buying individual LEDs that cost more than a buck. Look also for chip based noise makers that generate a number of noise effects like machine guns, laser cannons, bombs, etc., also for a buck.