lighting

Can anyone outhere tell me how to wire grain of wheat and rice bulbs for street and building lighting ? I bought some of fhose HO scale street lights with green colored shades to put on poles need help wiring them to my transformer. Greatly appreciate any info!

Jim

Reply to
james shields

Sure, nothing to it. The first thing you need is to determine what voltage the bulbs are designed to use*. Once you know that, simply run a feed line from the supply to the area where the bulbs are, and attach one wire from each bulb to it. Next, run a return wire back to the supply, and attach the other wire from each bulb to it. If you are lighting a structure with more than one bulb inside, you can group the wires into 2 groups, and run a single wire from each group to your feed. Put one wire from each bulb into a group, and put the other wire from each bulb into another group. run a wire from one group to the feed and a wire from the other group to the return.

If you are using Direct Current, one feed wire attaches to the +, positive, or plus, side of the supply, and the return wire attaches to the -, negative or ground (gnd) side.

If you are using Alternating Current the attachment points on the supply will probably not be marked, but it doesn't matter. Just attach one wire to one point and the other wire to the other point

Lights do not care whether they get DC or AC.

*To determine what voltage to use, if you do not already know, touch the wires from the light to a 1.5 volt flashlight battery. If the light comes on brightly, then it is a 1.5 volt bulb. If not, then connect the light to a 9 volt battery. If the light comes on, but is a bit dim, then it is probably a 12 volt bulb. 1.5 volts and 12 volts are the most common types of hobby lights. Froggy,
Reply to
Froggy

Jim wrote: Can anyone out here tell me how to wire grain of wheat and rice bulbs for street and building lighting ? I bought some of fhose HO scale street lights with green colored shades to put on poles need help wiring them to my transformer. Greatly appreciate any info!

Good luck! I'm sure you'll enjoy the lighting. It'll add another dimension to your railroad.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
to 1,100 sites:

Bill