microcontrollers under $50?

Not true. I joined the avr-chat mailing list a while ago, as well as the gnuarm list, and on both lists I found a number of experienced developers who do all their embedded work under OS X (and sometimes other Unices such as Solaris). It can be done, and works great once you get the tools set up. There's just less hand-holding to get you started (which is ironic on some level).

Probably true, but I'd prefer gcc over commercial compilers anyway.

But I see from your list that you already knew this for ARM and AVR -- but those are the chips I'm mainly interested in anyway. If I can't use, say, a Rabbit microcontroller without Windows, then I simply won't buy a Rabbit. There are plenty of more open alternatives.

Cheers,

- Joe

Reply to
Joe Strout

Could also use Rabbit boards. Can probably still get some of theirs for under $50. Not the dev kits unfortunately but they're darn nifty processors all the same

Dave

Hi Joe, I've been lurking on this thread to see if anyone would think of New Micros, Inc. But apparently not. So I'll do my own "advertising" here. We have several boards offered under $50.

If you have a flavor for 8051's, here at $39, NMIY-0031with software and examples to program it in Assembler, Basic, C or Forth:

But we also have an ARM for $29, Tini2131 w/gcc ond other software which can fit in a stamp legacy socket with an adapter.

For minimalists, we have an 68HC11 stand alone board, $49, NMIN-0021A programmable in our Max-FORTH. Also we have the E2 processor which can be substituted in this board.

-- Randy M. Dumse

Objects in mirror are feeling older than they used to

Reply to
RMDumse

I really like that comment Gordon.

TMT