PIC or ATMEL follow up

Hello all,
After the initial posting of the PIC vs. ATMEL I have read lots of good posts with great information on both sides. Thanks.
Upon reviewing all of my criteria I have decided to go with the Atmel's. This was a tough decision the two manufactures both have their advantages.
So why Atmel?
-From a hobbyist point of view the free GCC compiler is a large advantage to someone that doesn't want to program in assembly. So far there has yet to be a "no strings attached" free compiler for the PIC chips
-Most of the Atmel line supports self programming so a boot loader is not necessary. Of course the newer 18F series also supports self programming.
-The Atmel's run a bit faster (I know vague comment but in general...)
-The Atmel's are a tiny bit cheaper. (But kudos to Microchip for their free sample's program)
-If you wanted to program the Atmel's in assembly there are less quirks to be aware of compared to the PICS.
- That's about all I can think of.
GrantM.
GrantM. wrote:

Did you look at RVKBASIC (bastoc.com) It is free of hobby use.

That is why I switched. It was hard, and I bought a compiler for the PICs too.