Polaroid One Step Sonar problem

Hi,

I have a problem with a Polaroid One Step Sonar board I recently ripped out of a camera.

I breadboarded what I think is the minimal, funcional, circuit (i.e., no MCU, relay or transistor to trigger VSW high, no voltage regulator).

Assuming all the pins of the board are connected correctly:

-pin 1: postive transducer lead

-pin 2: negative transducer lead

-pin 3: 6 volts (direct to AA battery 4 pack)

-pin 8: 6 volts (direct to AA battery 4 pack)

-pin 9: VSW line

-pin 10: ground

-pin 15: MFLOG

-pin 16: XLOG

I also have 100 uF cap from VSW to ground.

To test it, I have hooked a multi-meter up to the MFLOG, and then connected the VSW line to 6 volts (manually -- not using any transistor or relay to do this). MFLOG thereupon changes from 2.65 to about 2.60 volts.

Checking the XLOG line the same way, when VSW is connected 6 volts, the XLOG changes from about 2.45 to 2.00 volts.

Current draw from the battery to the board when VSW goes high is less than 1 mA.

There is an audible click at the transducer when VSW goes high.

I haven't hooked this board to the MCU yet to check the timing, because it seems obvious it is not going to work, because the readings do not match any of the parameters mentioned in the various instructions found online (for example Dennis Clark's).

Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on here?

Thanks! John Byrley

Reply to
John Byrley

John Byrley wrote: John,

Did you do the board hacks for that model? You have to hack the thing a bit to get rid of various signals used to set the autofocus circuits in order to use this unit with a micro. I've hacked several of these, as you've seen on my website, and they've all worked (knock on wood.)

The unit is obviously working if you hear the "crack" of the SONAR going off, so that isn't a worry.

DLC

[...]

Dennis Clark