PVC Enclosures

Hi,
I'm making a case for an embedded PC and am looking at using a 10mm thiick
PVC sheet I have. I've heard rumours that PVC can store charge and so isn't
ideal for an enclosure. Would I be better making it out of something else or
even just insulating it? I'll be spacing the board with nylon pillars it
won't be in direct contact but it is a noisy environment (car) and so I want
to be extra careful.
Cheers,
Michael
Reply to
Michael
Bumping to stand out from the spam.
Reply to
Michael
Just about all plastics are prone to static, unless they are specially formulated. If you still want to use the PVC just put some aluminum foil on it. The standoffs will provide adequate isolation from possible shorts. If you need something that looks nicer/lasts longer, you can get thin copper and other metalic cladding at most any craft or hobby store.
-- Gordon
Reply to
Gordon McComb
It's my understanding that acrylic plastic is especially bad for static charge, but the sort of expanded PVC material you sell is not so bad. ????
Also, something that is a little easier to use than stock aluminum foil is aluminized duct tape they sell in hardware stores. It is highly conductive and has a nice sticky backing, so it's easy to cut and apply in neat arrangements.
Reply to
dan michaels
Have you checked out alucobond ? Its aluminum cladding on a polyethlyene core. I have some on my site and you can also find it on ebay.
JCD
Reply to
pogo
Not as bad, but if any kind of static is a concern, the best defense is a good metal ground plane!
Good idea. And cheap!
-- Gordon
Reply to
Gordon McComb