Self Drivin Auto

Given the "responsiveness" of the current games on the market, the high speed microprocessors, the electronics available, why have we not seen more research and developement on self drivin cars? The programming logic would be similar to the current games.

Reply to
matterofacts

blueeyedpop

Games are a controlled environment with only simple things to think about. Out on the road there are all sorts of problems to contend with

- you must have driven on a windy day or skidded on ice etc. To you and me its obvious that an oil stain on the road is just that but to a computer its got to decide if its on the road surface or if its a pedestrian etc. None of this happens in games. Also in games it doesn't matter if the cars crash ;-)

The military are doing a lot of work into it (less likely to get pedestrians on some battle field somewhere) as they want to have automated ambulance and supply vehicles etc.

Reply to
Matt D

We have seen research and development on "self drivin cars."

Do some reading about the DARPA Grand Challenge. Their own website

doesn't have a great deal of editorial content, so look at some of the others that have reports from the 2004 event

Rich Webb

Nothing like the programming logic of a computer game. The game "knows" where the cars (and pedestrians) are and thier velocities. In the real world that has to be worked out via some sensory system.

jc

Reply to
JGCASEY

Yes, look at the sites of the teams that participated. Of most interest are the guys that finished best in the contest.

dan

No need for any research.

Put two rail in parallel. Put a train on it. Make it automatic.

You get Self Driving Auto, with energy efficiency as a bonus.

AR

a écrit dans le message news: snipped-for-privacy@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Alain Riaud

There ws a TV program ( what I remember ) about cars being computer controlled by have following wires buried in the roadway.

The video showed 4 cars racing along the highway at over 60 MPH with a person in the drivers seat, but not driving.

Remember, anything thats autonomous will be limited in its usability.

But its fun to dream.

Reply to
hamilton

There are cars now which use machine vision to pilot themselves. They can be programmed, for instance, to follow behind another car on the freeway at at distance of exactly 100 feet. Total autonomy (e.g. navigation) is still a long (loooong) way off.

Reply to
Mark Haase