small volume parts duplication ?

Let's say I have a really neato prototype of a small part - about 2" x =

2" x 1" - shape I'd like to reproduce in plastic. Cool stuff like = Alumilite is just too expensive for a production run.

What is the most economical plastic or method to do that in ? I'd rather = do it myself at least to start, but for purposes of this post you can = assume I could afford $500 to $1000 for a one time first run. It doesn't = have to be cast -- it could be machined, as well.

Given that, any ideas on what materials to use or small volume = prototyping company to go with?=20

Thanks ! JCD

Reply to
Pogo

If it's that small, consider a stereolithography machine that turns out ABS parts. Try "emachineshop.com" and check out their pricing. Try pricing for one item and for two, to get a sense of what the second one costs. Pricing is roughly proportional to the volume of the material in the part, but is independent of complexity. So complex but hollow parts are not too expensive, but a solic block is costly.

They can also machine plastic, or make moulds for injection moulding. Even if you have somebody else do it, emachineshop.com is useful because their system can tell you what can be made with standard equipment and the relative costs of different approaches.

John Nagle

Reply to
John Nagle

Thanks ! The kinda info I wanted. Thanks again. JCD

Reply to
Pogo