Small run CNC(?) parts

Hi,

I'm considering having a small batch of parts machined in ally. The parts are for a collet style prop driver for electric motors for rc model plane use and are intended to get round the deficiencies of commercially available parts.

A set would comprise the following :

1) an M8 Nut in ally,

2) a 19mm ally washer 2.5mm thick at the center thinned on one face to

1.5mm at the rim and drilled 8mm clearance,

3) a prop shaft adaptor machined from ally bar 30 mm long and externally threaded M8 for half its length. The remainder of the length comprising a parallel 8mm diameter section terminating in a conical section that broadens to 10mm over the final 8mm of the shaft length (cone half-angle is 7 degrees). This conical collet section to be slit approx 1mm for the length of the cone + a few mm for luck. The whole shaft drilled through its length with a 5mm hole to accommodate the electric motor shaft,

4) a prop driver machined from ally bar having an axial length of 8mm, a stepped diameter of 13mm and 19 mm (step occurring half way along). Also having a conical hole matching the cone on the prop shaft (8mm at wide diameter and 10mm at the narrow diameter). Wide face to be knurled to grip prop.

My expected quantities are somewhere around 1000 sets of parts.

My reason for posting is I have no idea at all how to go about getting these made, and I wondered if anyone here has ideas about what would be reasonable quantities that would be considered by small batch parts makers, what sort of prices they'd charge etc etc. Also if anyone knows any firms that are prepared to undertake this kind of work then I'd be grateful for a link. Any other comments are welcome too, of course.

Thanks in advance,

Reply to
Boo

There's a company, Alan Pocock, in Devizes who does such things.

Also a guy in St.Ives, Cornwall in one of the artist's co-operatives. (his wife sells artists' material in the adjacent pitch (It's an arcade next to one of the many pubs). I chatted to him on a recent holiday there.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Hi

Sorry about time taken to respond but have lacksadasical with the group news lately. I have 4 CNC lathes that are looking for some material to get their cutters into. Please let me know if you are still looking for somebody to undertake this work. Cheers Dave

Reply to
Dave Jones

Hi Dave,

I'm still interested in obtaining a quote for this work. I am looking for in the region of several hundred of the above sets with a maximum being a thousand off. Can you give me any pricing indications from the above descriptions ? I presume you trade as a Ltd Co, is there a website ?

Thanks,

Reply to
Boo

Hi Boo Yes we are a Ltd.Co. Yes we do have a web site however we are in the process of changing our forwarding provider from verisign to 1and1 and revamping the entire site so at the moment the site is non operative so sorry for that one. Regarding the costing, what grade of alumium are you contemplating, are thinking of anodising after as this will affect your choice. I have taken the liberty of sketching my interpretation of your components which I will forward to you off group. Batch prodution, our break even length is 250 articles with very little price drop after 750 components. We have a standard Prog & set charge that is amortized across the run. For example: 1.5 min machine time @ £0.40/min = £0.60 each, batch length 50 articles, Prog & set charge £48 / 50 = £0.96 each plus material say £0.10 then total cost per article is 0.60+0.96+0.10= £1.66. Should the batch length be350 then 48 / 350 = £0.14 then total cost per article is

0.60+0.14+0.10 = £0.84 The prog & set charge is applicable on repeat runs. I hope this helps to clarify the way we would quote should you wish to progress any further. Cheers Dave
Reply to
Dave Jones

Hi Boo Yes we are a Ltd.Co. Yes we do have a web site however we are in the process of changing our forwarding provider from verisign to 1and1 and revamping the entire site so at the moment the site is non operative so sorry for that one. Regarding the costing, what grade of alumium are you contemplating, are you thinking of anodising after as this will affect your choice. I have taken the liberty of sketching my interpretation of your components which I will forward to you off group. Batch prodution, our break even length is 250 articles with very little price drop after 750 components. We have a standard Prog & set charge that is amortized across the run. For example: 1.5 min machine time @ £0.40/min = £0.60 each, batch length 50 articles, Prog & set charge £48 / 50 = £0.96 each plus material say £0.10 then total cost per article is 0.60+0.96+0.10= £1.66. Should the batch length be350 then 48 / 350 = £0.14 then total cost per article is