Tool Bit for V-Belt Pulleys

A Few Questions:

I recently made a v-belt pulley but with some difficulty because I had trouble setting up a 20 degree angle on the inside surface closest the lathe head. I suppose I could turn the pulley around but then it might not run true.

Anyway, seems like I should be able buy an off-the-shelf tool bit with a snubbed 40 degree included angle. Just plunge a certain depth and I'm done. Is there such an animal?

Second, I could go for a smaller belt but can't seem to find anything smaller than 2L. Where should I look? And if I can't go smaller, how come?

Third, I once got machine shop info from some other usenet group alt. rec.something. What was it?

Brad Smallridge AiVision

Reply to
Brad Smallridge

The below group is probably what you are looking for.

rec.crafts.metalworking

Reply to
Si Ballenger

OK. Thanks.

Reply to
Brad Smallridge

The 7x12 Minilathe group on Yahoo is also very good.

The approach I would take on your problem is to grind my own tooling to the desired pulley shape. It's a skill every machinist should have for situations like this.

BRW

Reply to
BRW

I can do a hand job but I don't have the equipment to do a really nice bit. That's why I asked if there was an off-the-shelf solution.

Reply to
Brad Smallridge