Using Neural Network as autopilot

Say we have a vehicle (a car or a boat or a helicopter or an airplane etc) which reacts to control inputs from a driver/pilots in a particular way defined by its current state and control input.

Assume that we have a car travelling on flat road. Our control input would be a vector of Ctrl_Input = [Steering Angle, Gear, Accelerator Value, Brake Value] and current state would be a vector of Current_State = [Velocity X, Velocity Y, Position X, Position Y, Acceleration X, Acceleration Y] the next state of the vehicle after a small time increment "dt" would be Next_State = [Velocity X, Velocity Y, Position X, Position Y, Acceleration X, Acceleration Y]

In another word we have a system with following input and output

Inputs: Ctrl_Inputs Current_State Output: (obtained after "dt" time) Next_State

Assume that we have as a set of Ctrl_Inputs, Current_State and Next_State data obtained in an experiment inwhich a human driver driving the vehicle on a flat road.

Given these data sets we should be able to train a neural network so that it relate inputs to outputs. My questions are as follows; 1- Which neural network topology would be good for learning vehicle behaviour (dynamic model of the vehicle) from above mentioned set of data ? 2- Number of neurons and number of layers required? 3- If we know our current state and our desired state (next state) how we can use the neural network to find required Control_Input vector? 4- Is there any tutorial/demo/code of this kind ? 5- Thanks.

Reply to
Autopilot

have a look "reinforcement learning" which maps input-state to action, at a local level such that the global goals is achieved. its used to control robots etc etc ...

project2501

The EvSail and SailChallenge software packages, downloadable gratis from the URL below, are examples of ANNs "trained" to control a virtual sailboat. Most of this software is applicable to your problem. These are written in C, and are fully documented.

Our ANNS are not actually trained. Instead, a good one is evolved by simulated evolution. The topology is an MLP with one hidden layer and about 40 neurons.

Mitchell Timin

Reply to
SeeBelow

I trained an F15 simulator to fly coordinated turns at 2g.

Reply to
E. Robert Tisdale

Can you any provide more details?

Thanks, Steve